Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Toe dragging

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93bb1
Wow am i glad I read this. I most likely would have ridden on the arch of my foot. what is the diff between ball and arc
Your toe dragging when you lean the bike over...

When your arch is on the peg, your foot can hang off and become a hard part...

Old 05-30-2011, 05:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reason I said he needs riding boots is one day it's likely his toes are gonna catch. His foot placement is obviously factor. But it's putting the cart before the horse imo, talking about that while his foot gear isn't up to snuff to dealing with high performance riding (shouldn't be coming anywhere near dragging a toe riding regular street unless he's riding with his heel on the peg). If he screws up (and I always assume I might screw up), the work boot doesn't have the support and protection necessary to prevent major trauma to his foot.

Y'all can tell him about foot placement on the pegs. But my concern right now is he's under-geared for what he's trying to do.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Reason I said he needs riding boots is one day it's likely his toes are gonna catch. His foot placement is obviously factor. But it's putting the cart before the horse imo, talking about that while his foot gear isn't up to snuff to dealing with high performance riding (shouldn't be coming anywhere near dragging a toe riding regular street unless he's riding with his heel on the peg). If he screws up (and I always assume I might screw up), the work boot doesn't have the support and protection necessary to prevent major trauma to his foot.

Y'all can tell him about foot placement on the pegs. But my concern right now is he's under-geared for what he's trying to do.
He could be wearing the best $500 boots on the market and if he's dragging his toe, he could catch it on something and it could cause him to go down. What you're suggesting is a bandaid on a heart attack. He asked why his toe was dragging and you tell him to get race boots...that's not going to solve his problem and it didn't answer his question. Proper riding position (has nothing to do with performance) is to have the ***** of your foot on the inside peg when making a turn.

A good riding boot won't solve his problem. Proper positioning will.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:38 AM

I'm going to go ahead and say you're both right; however those talking about foot placement have given me the answer I'm looking for now. I'll end up getting some racing boots for when I go racing. I started to really pay attention to where my feet were in a turn and adjust from there, it has worked out for me so far, just another step I take that will eventually become muscle memory. My work boots are what I ride in now and what I will continue to ride in on the street. I think I'm gear crazy enough, I don't want to put on full track atire every time I go out for a ride, although I'm willing to bet I look pretty good in the leather pants. Thanks again everyone for the replies.
Happy riding.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by SPR-GRN
I'm going to go ahead and say you're both right; however those talking about foot placement have given me the answer I'm looking for now. I'll end up getting some racing boots for when I go racing. I started to really pay attention to where my feet were in a turn and adjust from there, it has worked out for me so far, just another step I take that will eventually become muscle memory. My work boots are what I ride in now and what I will continue to ride in on the street. I think I'm gear crazy enough, I don't want to put on full track atire every time I go out for a ride, although I'm willing to bet I look pretty good in the leather pants. Thanks again everyone for the replies.
Happy riding.
I know you've probably heard it before, but pick up Twist of the Wrist II and read it cover to cover. It explain all of the intricacies of riding a sport bike properly and not just for the track. Nick Ienatsch also has a really good book.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by 93bb1
Wow am i glad I read this. I most likely would have ridden on the arch of my foot. what is the diff between ball and arc
Riding on the ***** of your feet creates a more stable base and allows you to use the "Pivot Steering" method (keeping your weight on the outside peg to stand the bike up more as you lean off of it like a monkey to create a bigger traction patch, making you go faster, countersteer the bike faster, etc.) along with a few other techniques and has it's advantages; quicker reaction and being more nimble.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by amRRussel
Riding on the ***** of your feet creates a more stable base and allows you to use the "Pivot Steering" method (keeping your weight on the outside peg to stand the bike up more as you lean off of it like a monkey to create a bigger traction patch, making you go faster, countersteer the bike faster, etc.) along with a few other techniques and has it's advantages; quicker reaction and being more nimble.

wow thanks