Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Problem with right turns on twisties

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 08:15 PM
2011 Ride of the Year
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one good way to find out which direction you favor is to get on your bicycle and get some speed, while doing about 100mph on your bicycle hit the rear brake hard. which way do you swing the bike.

i swing the rear of the bike to the right which makes the left turn. im more comfy making a left turn therefore my chicken strip is smaller on the left side.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by scorpionvmu
one good way to find out which direction you favor is to get on your bicycle and get some speed, while doing about 100mph on your bicycle hit the rear brake hard. which way do you swing the bike.
I would love to try this, but if I took the training wheels off of my son's bike to slide it, he would kill me!

Old 08-07-2011, 09:07 PM

I'm the same....i can lay it over and go harder in the right corners...i agree it's the slope in the road for water run-off

Old 08-13-2011, 01:53 PM
Registered Users
Lightbulb Physics...

I'm sorry for those who don't want to go back to school today but... I think it may actually have something to do with the 'right hand rule' if you remember from physics/engineering. Basically, if the wheels on a bike are always spinning forward (which they should be while you're riding ) then the resultant moment is always out to the left. Theres an experiment you can demo by spinning a wheel with a hole in the middle and placing it on a rope and noticing which direction it spins towards depending whether its going forward or backward..... I'm not positive but I think this could have something to do with ease of cornering toward one direction over another.

Just a thought

Old 08-16-2011, 02:48 AM

I think I have an answer to this that will hold some weight. If your dominant hand is the right one your issue with right turns may be that you subconciously tend to favor your right more when you counter stear. What I mean is this, when turning to the left you pull back on the right side and it feels natural and secure because you are leaning off of the left side of the bike, and your dominant hand is able to pull you back towards the tank. When we are turning right perhaps there is a tendency for many newer riders to actually push on the right handgrip instead of pulling on the left. This causes us to feel less secure because essentially our body mass is being pulled in the direction that we are pushing thus we are allowing our right hand to support more weight as well as manipulate our direction of travel. It does not even matter if you are still pulling on the left grip the bottom line is the operator is still pushing with the right hand more in the right turn more than the push with the left hand in the left turn because the right hand is the dominant hand. To turn the motorcycle you must shift your center of gravity in the same direction that the motorcycle is leaning; in the case of the right hand turn that would mean you are leaning the bike towards the right, shifting your center of gravity towards the right, and this causes you to not be able to comfortably rotate the front end as much because you, once again are pushing your right grip away from you and in steeper lean angles that means towards the direction of the ground. We have a tendency to favor our dominant hand, to countersteer one must manipulate the front fork of the motorcycle so that the asthmus of the front wheel pointing towards the, apex/outside of the turn. To solve this make a conscious effort to pull with the left and when turning right instead of pushing with the right. I had to do this because I noticed that I had about a quarter of an inch of unused tread on the right side of my rear tire and I was scraping some of the lettering on the left. I once was told that you must maintain a silent upperbody. What this means is that if you let go of the bars with your body positioned as you would have it positioned while cornering you should not fall off of the bike if it were not in motion. Your outside leg, and centrifigal force should be holding you on the bike. By the rider putting to much weight on his hands it makes it harder to be smooth and articulate the front wheel. Your hands should be guiding the machine, and your line should be the most efficient way through the corner. In order to find flow one must quiet common sense. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Stu Pidasso; 08-16-2011 at 03:03 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:11 AM

Opposite to what I posted above there are those riders who who have the same problem turning to the left. Some of them are right handed, in those sittuations the issue is still the same just 180 degrees different. Some people feel more comfortable pushing with their dominant hand others feel more comfortable pushing. Either way as I stated above. Make an effort to pull the handgrip that is opposite the direction of the turn when you countersteer instead of pushing the handgrip that is the same as the direction of the turn.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:49 AM

I am extra extra comfy in left hander, to the point where I can save the bike if I go over a bump at my full lean.. but the right handers rely on my left leg to hold my body in place... my back feels all weird. Just so much ore uncomfortable.

And yes, chicken strips don't lie.

I guess the only way to get comfy is do right hand parking lot circles...while draggin some knee.