Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Problem with right turns on twisties

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with right turns on twisties

Ok so I noticed this problem recently. I have been riding for half a year. I am very comfortable takitwiddle turns during twisties. I can get real low, I look into the turn well, my counterstearing is great... But for some reason I can't do that on right turns. I have crashed twice on a right turn, and crossed the yellow line several times. I feel very uncomfortable in them and just can't get low.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I could get over this?

Old 08-01-2011, 12:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like to know myself. I feel more comfortable taking right turns than left myself. I countersteer better going right. I think my positioning is better when dealing with right handers too. I realize that almost everyone is dominant on one side. Haven't really found any trick to it myself except taking more lefts

Just a thought: you think you might be subconsciously "protecting" your exhaust? Thinking to yourself you're going to drag the exhaust if you lean too far?

Last edited by Kuroshio; 08-01-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:48 AM

Im the same alot more comfortable going left than right. What gives? All my friends say its because its the throttle side and that im afraid of rolling the throttle if something should happen to go bad. Well its either that or we're just Nascar fans at heart. ROFL

Old 08-01-2011, 08:15 AM

usually i can take right corners better than left corners on the street cause the crown of the road makes the road slope down so its in comparison to goin around banked corner which you can do much harder and faster and goin left your turning on a down ward slope so the bike will drop low quickly into the turn more so than going right, thats just me i guess im more dominant goin right. not sure about your problem tho especially with crashing twice im guessin its more of a mental thing cause if the road crowns in the middle you should be able to rip right corners hard just have to put a little more work into the handlebars and countersteering than goin left.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:24 PM

The side that your more comfortable leaning on is that your dominant side? left handed left truns, right handed right trun's. this is for everyone to answer. I'm a lefty. And my left truns are alot better then my rights.(Chicken strips don't lie) and whenever someone starts Nasbike,let me know.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:54 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you were to do donuts??? Which side being your pivot is your strong side. I have problem too with downhill...right. I kill the left.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:00 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm right handed but my dominant lean is left. Can this be that in the STATES, our lane direct if different from Europe? We always uses a left for a U-turn??

Originally Posted by this guy
The side that your more comfortable leaning on is that your dominant side? left handed left truns, right handed right trun's. this is for everyone to answer. I'm a lefty. And my left truns are alot better then my rights.(Chicken strips don't lie) and whenever someone starts Nasbike,let me know.

Old 08-01-2011, 01:26 PM

I am right handed by my left turns are better. I feel like im going to fall over in a right turn but not in a left. It might have to do with the slope of the road. Idk

Old 08-01-2011, 01:29 PM

It's weird. I feel so focused in my left turns... But in the right, its hard to make my brain do what it needs to

Old 08-01-2011, 01:33 PM

i think we are going to need the mythbusters to solve this one.

Quick Reply: Problem with right turns on twisties