Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Problem with right turns on twisties

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when im going to go into a tight left corner, my body move and feels comfortable, but my rights, i lock up. even when i make a right trun at a light, i feel like the other pepole that are sitting there ready to make a left onto the road i just got off of are watching me and laughing.my rights are a lit wide

Old 08-01-2011, 01:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys guys guys... Don't wrack your brain trying to figure out left eye / right hand / left leg / ???? CBR dominance. We're all better going in one direction than the other, especially at the beginning.

There's no trick I'm aware of to beat this quickly either. Just practice, practice, practice. The only thing I've heard of is the irrational fear that people have of scraping the exhaust on rights.

Which is irrational cause even with a stock exhaust, you'll scrape pegs first

Old 08-01-2011, 02:15 PM

I don't think I have any fear of scraping my exaust, as my exaust is already scraped up from my first crash

Old 08-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

And some of us have exhausts on both sides so that don't stack up either!

Old 08-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobretticuz
I don't think I have any fear of scraping my exaust, as my exaust is already scraped up from my first crash
It's not messing up the exhaust I think. It's the drag from scraping the exhaust causing a wreck. But hey! You've been there, done that... Twice! So no worries

Okay seriously... With you it could be like me. With me, I'm better on rights probably because I know I'm stronger on my right side and have more precision because of it. Have more fine control from more usage and such. In the end tho it's gonna be practicing your rights more.

And not on the twisties dude. You've been given 2 clear hints already your rights need more work. So you need to practice in a controlled (or somewhat controlled) environment. A track day would be ideal, where an instructor can watch you and tell you what you're doing wrong. If not there, then a empty parking lot with cones to control your practice

Old 08-01-2011, 02:49 PM

Kuro. I always love hearing your advice and what you have to say. I agree. A track day would be superb. I myself need to get to the track. Closest we have is Hallet. But a bit pricey. I myself I noticed am always a little stronger leaning to the left usually. I'm also left handed. But I think it's a mental thing no matter which way is more dominant and I believe it just takes practice and repetitiveness to get u over the "fear" of leaning into the side your not comfortable with. I actually decided the other day I was going to stop being scared of my rights by trying to follow the road ahead like I am supposed to and looking in the direction I want to go and have actually noticed myself getting better. Not only in my right turns, but also in my left. So just as Kuro has mentioned I believe it is practice. Good luck!

Old 08-01-2011, 05:01 PM

Ya you're probably right. I'm gonna try to get some money together and do a trackday mauve next month. Hope it makes a difference

Old 08-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hallet is $90 a day, all day, is what I've been told. I thought that was good, what are
some of the others paying for track time?

I've been considering checking them out, could definetly use some top-notch advice.
I'm more interested in honing my street-skills, than beating the track.

I do have a 'handed'-side as well. Lefty-sweeps are smoother for me. Part of that is
an old injury, that makes me favor my left. Always assumed that's what the story was.
Interesting that a lot of ya'll have a preference.

My dominant eye, on the other hand is my right (as is most peoples).
If you are curious to figure out your 'master' eye, Hold your finger up, sight past it
(with both eyes open). Then close your eyes one-at-a-time, left-right. The eye that
still sees the finger pointing at the object, is your master. The other eye will show the finger 'displaced'.

I think it's probably related to a inner-ear thing, myself. I'm guessing that most of us
have a favored balance point. Any sports trainers that moon-light here, want to comment?

Kuro's point is valid, recognize your flaws and correct them. However, I'm betting that
this is one, that all but, the .001%'ers (you know those guys, we watch them on the tv sports channel) suffer from it to a greater or lesser degreee.

Ern

Old 08-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Registered Users

I believe it has to do with line of sight. Since you go towards what you see. You have a better line of sight left than you do right. In the states that is. Most go left better. How many in the UK go right better than left because of opposite lanes? This doesn't fit all the time though depending on what you are use to and how long you've been riding. I favor left with my 954 but my son favors right with his Triumph speed triple. I think because the bike is British and wants to go right.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:02 PM

I used to think I had a harder time going left than right. Chicken strip is a lot smaller on the right than the left but I found a good corner that was similar in either direction and I can hit it at the same speed either going right or left on it. The apex of the corner sits at the bottom of a valley so it's downhill into the corner either way. But there's another corner I found that I can't hit hard going left around it but going right I can lean it right over. I think a lot of it is a fear of coming into oncoming traffic. On a right hand corner I know I've got a shoulder to run off onto if I lean it too hard and cut the corner to the inside. On a left hand corner I've got oncoming traffic if I veer too far over to the inside. Also how much I can see around the corner effects all that. It's a bit of a scooby-doo mystery.

Quick Reply: Problem with right turns on twisties