Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

How do you teach someone to ride a motorcycle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

start small, work up as they learn. And the MSF is a great place to start.

Old 01-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont let him drive your bike man, just send him to a MSF course. ...its like 100 bucks

Old 01-27-2011, 09:40 PM

With their bike, not yours.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:45 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

ive always wanted to have a sports bike and i finely got one. but about two years ago i bought an old (1972 dirt bike) and has been riding it since and loved every second of it. now i got a 600se and i am so afraid of it that i almost dont want to get on it. i know its a lot of power underneath my wings, so i will take it slow, very slow, but at least i did ride a bike and got pretty good at it. so im more confident in what im doing than someone who would be riding for the first time. not to mention that dirt bike did take pretty good beating. its better for the old bike to get bit up than your nice f4i.
take care of your ride.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:59 AM

Even though this is a revived thread, I have to say +1 to the MSF BRC. Yes you can teach your friend/family on an old dirt bike in a field or in a parking lot. However, the BRC gives one a foundation to build on, from teaching the controls, to balancing the bike, to actual riding, turning, and stopping. Clutch use is also taught. As said, it is a structured environment and suited to learning. The BRC is designed to teach someone who has never swung a leg over a seat, as well as those who have some riding experience. I have found that many students are glad they took the BRC as it prepares them more for riding. Many are not ready for a 600cc sportbike, some are not ready for the big Harley their significant other or they themselves bought. They find that they they learn new skills and can build on them, even if they have a bigger bike than the 125's and 250's the MSF uses. Those little bikes are a blast to learn on. Send them to a BRC to learn, they learn more than just how to ride. :-)

Old 02-07-2011, 08:24 PM

My dad bought a 2001 kawasaki super sherpa which for you that do not know is an enduro 250 bike. I found that riding on the back with him instructions on how to use the clutch on this bike really helped me out with my skills and the massive amount of confidence I have in my riding now. THANKS dad.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ Sounds like you learned the way I did, Steve.

Yeah.... maybe a course would be the best idea. lol..

Old 02-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha!

I ended up in a river once.
I don't know wtf I was thinking. Something I'd done 100 times didn't work on the 101st. lol.
That's an odd feeling to land in a river on your side while you're still on the bike. It's very unnatural.... and wet... and ****in' cold.
But at least the pipe didn't burn the chit out of my leg.

Quick Reply: How do you teach someone to ride a motorcycle?