Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

How do you teach someone to ride a motorcycle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think i have a a dumb idea, get an old 10 speed road racing bike with the curved handel bars, strap about 400 lbs of weight to it and let him ride it around....... dont forget a honda sticker and a baseball card in the spokes

Old 05-06-2010, 10:33 AM

I learned from weeks of Youtube videos, then out of no where buying a 2001 F4i. I will admit, Youtube doesn't teach everything... which is why I merged into oncoming traffic on my FIRST turn out of my street, however I picked it up after the first few rides. I figure as long as you know stickshift in a car, you can ride a bike, you just need practice. If you don't want to go to an MSF course, take him to a big empty parking lot. I never had anyone to teach me so I learned by just riding around my neighborhood to be honest with you. MSF course will happen at some point for me, but just because I want my license. (Permit expires in one year, lol.)

Old 05-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rommy
If you don't want to go to an MSF course, take him to a big empty parking lot.

No. That is not even close to a good substitute.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:10 AM

well
the first thing is take him to a ground

then show him basics of clutching and then let him do for short while
then just get on the rear seat and help him ride and balance him

Old 06-15-2010, 11:37 PM

have him take the brc, and i learned mainly from watching mordeth13 and downshift83's youtube channels

Old 06-16-2010, 01:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shove a USB cable into his/her ear and upload the program.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:46 AM

i like this thread... just got my first bike 2 weeks ago... a friend of mine picked it up and coached me in a parking lot for about 15 mins then i rode on the highway (taking the course this weekend)... i thought it was easy and my bro wanted to learn so teach him right??? not so much, he did 2 burn outs in 3 mins and i kicked him off of it... think he will have to learn on someone elses bike...

Old 01-24-2011, 08:28 PM

I'm going to revive this thread because I just started reading a book (Proficient Motorcycling...something like that) and an interesting chart I saw said that more accidents occur from riders who were taught by friends and family, than if they taught themselves or if they went to the MSF course (duh lol)

So, maybe it isn't a good idea to teach your buddies. Lots of people learn differently, and you might understand something in a different way then your friend does.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:14 PM

I have yet to take the MSF course and got my first bike last summer a 2002 f4i. I had never ridden anything other than a bicycle before and just hopped on and took it around the block. I have almost dropped the bike a couple of times, but it was more due to me being short (5'8") than anything else.

I am one of the lucky ones I guess, but my wife and I will be taking the MSF course together this spring. I know I have a lot to learn from the course though I am not looking forward to riding a 250 after half a year on a 600.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by ian7321
I have yet to take the MSF course and got my first bike last summer a 2002 f4i. I had never ridden anything other than a bicycle before and just hopped on and took it around the block. I have almost dropped the bike a couple of times, but it was more due to me being short (5'8") than anything else.

I am one of the lucky ones I guess, but my wife and I will be taking the MSF course together this spring. I know I have a lot to learn from the course though I am not looking forward to riding a 250 after half a year on a 600.
It's pretty fun to zip around on those 250s with people of all skill ranges, especially when you take it with someone else you already know.

but I will say that the people who were in our group that were all cocky because they had been riding for years w/o their license did not do as well as they thought they would but its pretty good nonetheless

Quick Reply: How do you teach someone to ride a motorcycle?