Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Am I just a wimp

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 06:23 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Well said

Originally Posted by Doc Samson
I think most of the "flash in the pan" young'uns who might have raged at your input have long since departed. Seems that the only regular contributors have either matured or were older to start with. I've only been riding a few seasons (turned 52 this past summer) and I think, given the number of close calls I've had, that it's a good thing I didn't start riding at a younger age! At least not on a sport bike...

The first few times I had someone pull out in front of me, my instant reaction was to get very, VERY pissed at them. As my experience and situational awareness grew, I came to the realization that: 1) most people are at or just barely above "auto pilot" awareness when driving, 2) that going significantly faster than the speed limit on a small, narrow vehicle makes it tough for anyone to judge my speed, and 3) I should've been pissed at no one but myself for not taking into account #'s 1 & 2...
Well said, I'm 54, and have seen what can happen. Back in the day I had a friend who rode an Interceptor. He always rode like a bat outta Hell. He passed me while I was driving a car I was speeding 70 in a 55 and he went by me like I was sitting still. He had they bike laid over that he was just a few inches above the concrete median. Of course no gear except a helmet. He was my manager at Wendy's so he's going down the road, tie flapping in the breeze. Well that bike wasn't fast enough. So he traded it in for a CBR. I almost bought that bike. I loved the Interceptor he had. But I didn't. So one day he was supposed to be at work and never showed. A little later when we got another manager to come in. We learned he had crashed either he blew through an intersection or wasn't paying attention. Either way he had hit a car and was on the helicopter being flown to the trauma center. He had numerous broken bones and died on the helicopter but was revived. I don't think he's been on a bike since.
i first started riding on a Yamaha DT 125 top speed of 65
Then I rode 4 Wheelers for a while then a Katana 600. I lost that one in my divorce, my ex's boyfriend wanted a bike. Now the 1988 Hurricane.
You are right, most driver's in cars are on autopilot at best.

The following users liked this post:
Doc Samson (12-07-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 10:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Not a wimp, but a person who is professionally riding based on his own evaluation on what's necessary. Here's food for thought, there is no such thing as a real accident especially when it comes to vehicles. All supposed "accidents" really boils down to at least 1 person being incompetent during the vehicle's operation. Operating a motor vehicle on public roads is a privilege and it is upto the operators due diligence to keep themselves safe. Sadly, there's too many entitled people in this world who do not understand and/or willing to take responsibility for their own actions and believe that using public roads is a right and that they have all the necessary qualifications to be a racer when in reality, they're just full of themselves. If that happens, I would feel sorry for the families that are left behind, however, I'd chalk it up to natural selection and that their demise was based on their own actions. Yes, it is the harsh reality of things, but in the end, we're all just walking sacks of meat and bones and it's up to us to keep ourselves alive. (I've worked in hospitals, have saved lives, will continue to save lives, but am no longer empathetically affected by death because **** happens)

The following 2 users liked this post by Aoiki:
Doc Samson (12-20-2020), Ron Acord (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Aoiki
Not a wimp, but a person who is professionally riding based on his own evaluation on what's necessary. Here's food for thought, there is no such thing as a real accident especially when it comes to vehicles. All supposed "accidents" really boils down to at least 1 person being incompetent during the vehicle's operation. Operating a motor vehicle on public roads is a privilege and it is upto the operators due diligence to keep themselves safe. Sadly, there's too many entitled people in this world who do not understand and/or willing to take responsibility for their own actions and believe that using public roads is a right and that they have all the necessary qualifications to be a racer when in reality, they're just full of themselves. If that happens, I would feel sorry for the families that are left behind, however, I'd chalk it up to natural selection and that their demise was based on their own actions. Yes, it is the harsh reality of things, but in the end, we're all just walking sacks of meat and bones and it's up to us to keep ourselves alive. (I've worked in hospitals, have saved lives, will continue to save lives, but am no longer empathetically affected by death because **** happens)
That's the truth. I'm not going to say I always obay all the speed limits. But I've gotten older and have had enough close calls that I've learned my lesson. What got me started on this thread was a post on YouTube. I guy was complaining that a van cut him off. He was only going 150. Totaled his bike and spent 6 months in the hospital. Just recently a friend of a friend was killed. Riding through the city like a bat outta Hell and a car made a turn in front of him. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Old 12-27-2020, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Acord
It just doesn't make sense to me.
See I think that's a good point - but with a caveat

We've all chosen motorcycles. There's no practical reason, and the stats tell us that this is a very dangerous thing to do.

But we do it anyway

We all face our mortality every time we fire an engine, and we do it by choice

So I feel like there's always going to be a subset of riders who crave the rush and the danger. Sometimes you'll spot a mad glint in their eye as they brag about their latest brush with death. Maybe it's the guy who passes you on the highway doing ludicrous speed in a tshirt, or the dui barfing through the bottom of their helmet at a red light before peeling off down a busy street. I remember a lot of those people.

I remember a few that didn't make it to adulthood. Maybe it was a sleepy commuter, or a left turner, or a tree. Usually it starts with speed. In my experience, most times it comes down to rider error.

The thing we know is that city streets are the worst possible place to ride recklessly. Even if you're not be the one who made the mistake, you'll be the one to pay. The car or bus is just the deadly consequence of a choice made moments earlier. The other shoe drops.

From there it usually goes to a hospital or clinic, sometimes the grave. The bike to a yard and left to rot under a tarp. Life goes on, unless it's been taken. The whole thing a tragic waste

I don't get it either. But I also understand the pull - The thrill of pushing the limits - the feeling of speed and danger that's at the heart of our shared habit.

I'm not here to judge. We're all guilty to some extent, or else we wouldn't choose to ride at all

We'd be on a boring car forum arguing about washer fluid or something like that

The following 3 users liked this post by tentacleslap:
90CBRF (12-30-2020), Doc Samson (12-28-2020), SunBlue (02-17-2021)
Old 12-28-2020, 01:41 AM
Default Well said

Originally Posted by tentacleslap
See I think that's a good point - but with a caveat

We've all chosen motorcycles. There's no practical reason, and the stats tell us that this is a very dangerous thing to do.

But we do it anyway

We all face our mortality every time we fire an engine, and we do it by choice

So I feel like there's always going to be a subset of riders who crave the rush and the danger. Sometimes you'll spot a mad glint in their eye as they brag about their latest brush with death. Maybe it's the guy who passes you on the highway doing ludicrous speed in a tshirt, or the dui barfing through the bottom of their helmet at a red light before peeling off down a busy street. I remember a lot of those people.

I remember a few that didn't make it to adulthood. Maybe it was a sleepy commuter, or a left turner, or a tree. Usually it starts with speed. In my experience, most times it comes down to rider error.

The thing we know is that city streets are the worst possible place to ride recklessly. Even if you're not be the one who made the mistake, you'll be the one to pay. The car or bus is just the deadly consequence of a choice made moments earlier. The other shoe drops.

From there it usually goes to a hospital or clinic, sometimes the grave. The bike to a yard and left to rot under a tarp. Life goes on, unless it's been taken. The whole thing a tragic waste

I don't get it either. But I also understand the pull - The thrill of pushing the limits - the feeling of speed and danger that's at the heart of our shared habit.

I'm not here to judge. We're all guilty to some extent, or else we wouldn't choose to ride at all

We'd be on a boring car forum arguing about washer fluid or something like that
Everything you said makes a lot of sense. It only takes a momentary lapse in judgement to have dire consequences. We are all going to die one day so the enjoyment of riding is worth the risk. But it's the people who seem to want to rush that along, now a days for a few views on YouTube. It's not worth it. When I suit up for a ride I try to remember that I'm sitting on a 500 pound bike riding with 2 ton cars that are probably not paying attention. Some drivers act like we shouldn't be on the road. I remember one time I was on a 2 lane back country road that I hadn't rode on before. I was just having a good time when I noticed that a car had come up behind me. I mean right on my tail. So I thought he would pass but nope so I sped up and he still was riding my tail. By the time I hit 90 I saw a side road that I thought I could cut off on. I didn't know that after about 20 feet the pavement ended and there was a drop off to a rough dirt road. Luckily I was able to keep the bike up and get it stopped. I turned it around and tried to catch him and let him know what I thought about his driving. But I never did.

90CBRF (12-30-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 05:50 AM
Welcome crew
Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by tentacleslap

Usually it starts with speed. In my experience, most times it comes down to rider error.
Great summation and analysis that only "been there, done that" experience can provide!

I've put down a little over 25k miles in 3 1/2 years of riding and know that easily 90% of my close calls were the result of my poor choices, i.e. too much speed, not paying attention, etc. I like to think I've learned from my mistakes but, then again, I'm at an age where I can't afford to NOT learn from 'em. When I was younger, surviving a bad decision would likely have just given me some confirmation bias, i.e. I lived through "that", so I'll live through it if it happens again. That type of thinking, in the hands of a young adult who already has a sense of invincibility and cockiness, coupled with a road rocket? Yeah. I regret not starting riding much sooner in my life but, at the same time, I know if I'd started on sport bikes, I'd be lucky to have made it this far!

Old 12-30-2020, 07:03 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Acord
I was worried I'd get a lot of hate mail after I made my post. But I'm glad that didn't happen. But after reading some of the posts I just couldn't be silent. I just can't see why so many people want to be a statistic. Maybe it's my age, I'm 54 and I done my share of crazy stuff in cars motorcycles and 4 wheelers when I was young. But I see how stupid I was and I know what could have happened.
Both of those are good ideas. I'm going to look into both of them.
Coudnt agree more with your original post. Im convinced you are right when you say its an age thing. Having returned to biking three years ago when i was 60 i took a refresher course and i find i am a lot more cautious than when i was younger.

Last edited by 90CBRF; 01-08-2021 at 04:44 PM.
Phatdad (03-29-2021)