Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

When you bought your bike...did you ride it back?

Old 08-09-2016, 06:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me and my friend rode my f4i from Taipei (Taiwan) to Kaohsiung. Because of Taiwan's law, big bikes are not allowed to use the express ways, so we had to use the smaller highways. The journey took about 10 hours. Luckily we shared the riding but we had very sore bums after.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:10 PM

None of the bikes I currently own were ridden home. Since most of them are old Hondas that I restored, none of them were running when I bought them. I trailered them home, did the necessary repairs, and eventually got them back on the road. My newest bike, a 2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700 was delivered to my home by the dealer. They took my older Vulcan in trade, so they dropped the new one off and took the old one back.

Now that I think of it, the only bike that I rode home was my very first one - an '82 KZ440. Since then, everything has been either delivered or trailered to my house!

Tom

Old 08-12-2016, 01:42 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Yes and no.
Originally, I was going to fix it up for a buddy that had it sitting in storage for a year or so. It wasn't running so I put it in my truck and brought it to my shop to mess with it. After evaluating the needed repairs and taking his deployment into consideration, we decided that it would be best that he just sell it to me.

So I made it run and rode it 40 miles home. Many years and thousands of miles later, I'm still riding it.

Technically, after it became mine I rode it home, but it was his when it was trucked by me to my work.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:07 AM

Mixed bag for me, the first bike i had a Honda CG 125 was picked up by my dad in a van, and delivered to the house, as i was working, and wasn't old enough to even ride the bike at that point.

My upgrade to my Honda CBF 250 i rode all the way home from the new forest a good 80 miles or so.

Then my dad upgraded me to his old CB 500s which as i was living at home i didn't have to pick it up.

Then i brought a CBR 600 F4i off of my brother, and had to trailer it home as it wasn't even roadworthy at the time.

Then my most recent CBR 600 F4i as the last was written off, i picked up from Swansea and rode that all the way home which was a good 120-130 mile trip.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:03 AM

I myself did not ride either of my bikes home, the previous owner's however, were kind enough to deliver them to me. hehe. Quite a rare thing honestly.

Old 11-13-2016, 11:10 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Polk01
I myself did not ride either of my bikes home, the previous owner's however, were kind enough to deliver them to me. hehe. Quite a rare thing honestly.
I bet you got the previous owners to wash and polish them once they were delivered as well

Old 11-13-2016, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkwind2016
I bet you got the previous owners to wash and polish them once they were delivered as well
Not sure if bashing (fail) or just jealous.

Old 11-13-2016, 02:02 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Polk01
Not sure if bashing (fail) or just jealous.
Just admiring your bargaining skills

Old 11-13-2016, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkwind2016
Just admiring your bargaining skills
Well when you don't have a truck and they want the money...

Old 10-27-2017, 04:31 PM

When I bought my F4i my friend wanted to ride it back, so he rode and I drove my car. About a mile from our exit on I-5 he runs out of fuel and the bike dies (the speedometer was broken and we didn’t check how much gas was in it before we went off.) So he had to push the bike a mile to the exit. We called a buddy who brought us 5 gal of gas to fill up the bike. So then my friend wanted to drive my car the rest of the way (97 Toyota Camry 5 speed manual.) I already knew he doesn’t know how to drive stick very well but we switched anyways because I just wanted to ride. I hear him rev the **** out of the engine while he’s taking off and immediately realized I’m gonna regret this. Later on down the road I see him pulled over with the hazards on. I pull up behind him to see what’s wrong. He tells me the car won’t go into first gear. I tell him to ride the bike back and I’ll drive. I don’t know what the f**k he did, but I can’t put it into gear with ease. I was able to drive the car back to the bricks. 4 months later the car hasn’t moved from it’s parking spot. Somehow he ruined the pressure plate so it doesn’t release the clutch all the way. I wasn’t mad since I now had a bike 😁. But it was a very eventful day.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: When you bought your bike...did you ride it back?