Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

To train or not to train?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To train or not to train?

Is it important to get formal training for riding motorcycles? What kinds of training have you had and how did it help your overall riding?

Old 05-07-2019, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

I believe it is. I have a few scars from road rash due to making mistakes that would have been easily avoided had I had someone thump me in my head and tell me I was doing it wrong. Plus you learn on a closed course. No cars coming at you if you low side on a training course.

Old 05-27-2019, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by hamlin6
I believe it is. I have a few scars from road rash due to making mistakes that would have been easily avoided had I had someone thump me in my head and tell me I was doing it wrong. Plus you learn on a closed course. No cars coming at you if you low side on a training course.
All good points! you're lucky all you have is some road rash scars... What kind of training have you completed?

Old 05-29-2019, 10:26 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I would LOVE to get some formal training on the track I imagine it will be super helpful but I'm concerned that they won't allow my bike. Am saving up for a track bike

Old 05-31-2019, 04:27 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Not track based.
My father made me do an RAC course before he would allow me to step up from 125cc to 250cc.
The course consisted of 8 weeks riding with instructors on Sundays and 2hrs a week with police motorcycle riders which was class room based.
Initially I didn’t want to do the course but found there were a few other fathers insisting their sons completed some type of formal training. I ended up loving the course.
i was well taught and received valuable advice for a young lad. My “RAC GRADUATE” badge was spotted by a policeman who wanted a chat with me on one occasion and remarked that I “should no better” . After an ear full his advice I was on my way but the badge definitely saved me from endorsements.
To your question. I believe good enthusiastic training is essential for everyone. The earlier the better. I regard every ride as training. Even after nearly 40 years riding, it would be stupid of me to think I now know it all. That will never happen.

He doesn’t deserve caps.

Last edited by wes 17; 05-31-2019 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:12 AM

As far as I can tell the basic standards in America and various countries around the world are pretty shocking, I can see why so many bikers crash and why most accidents are the riders fault. In the uk the standards do seem a lot higher for big bikes, although I think it's horrendously low for cbt riders. If your basic course was ''this is how you mechanically ride a bike from a to b'' then you should seek more help. You don't have to pay for it imo, not with the joys of the internet, but you'd have to make sure you are watching valid info to go on and learn yourself on quite roads etc. Some of the info isn't necessary, such as clutch less shifts and rev matching. Those are things that basically derive from track racing, they may shave off a second or so in the long run but on the public roads, where are you racing too?. In other words you don't NEED to learn things like that. Rev matching in particular is a newb clutch rip mine field.

Trail breaking is a difficult topic as it does require a lot of rider experience, the upside is you have a lot more options for any surprises on a bend, the downside is getting it badly wrong and low siding. Later down the line this is something to consider but again you don't NEED to do it. If not trail breaking you just enter the corner a lot slower. Trail breaking isn't just about fast speed, I used it a lot on every day roads just to slightly load the suspension in case of an emergency.

Tbf none of this covers the real issues though. I've had a car license for almost 20 year, the road experience that gives me, in knowing what drivers do and when is worth more than mechanical riding skills. On top of that I have also ridden field bikes so already had good grasp of the controls (but also good grasp of what it feels like when you lose grip). This has already played in helpful where a greasy cambered round a bout nearly took my front wheel at low speed, but a quick foot stomp stood the bike back up. I was surprised I was able to do it as it's an old cbr, heavy bike. I also own a racing peddle bike that I go on holidays with. It's suprisingly similar to a sport bike in many ways, minus the speed. If you have experience in some of these it does help.

Regardless of above 100% do this, watch lots of videos of motor vehicle crashes, all types. Watch the same clips multiple times and really try to see what went wrong and why. If watching biker vids completely ignore the comments because they always blame the car drivers when 99/100 times it's the bikers fault. Speeding.. sitting in car blind spots, road position etc, all rider error. Road speed limits and breaking distances are in account of cars, not bikes, you need to remember that. It may be a 60mph road but that doesn't mean it's always safe to do 60 on a bike.

Well, bit of a ramble, maybe not what you want to hear but yeah, if you value your life practice the mechanics of riding and breaking and watch a **** tone of crashes to gain some road respect and experience.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by SunBlue
I would LOVE to get some formal training on the track I imagine it will be super helpful but I'm concerned that they won't allow my bike. Am saving up for a track bike
What kind of bike do you have? Depends on the organization....I work with the California Superbike School and we allow many different types of bikes provided they are safe and well maintained. Each bikes goes through tech inspection before it is allowed on track but we don't discriminate on make/model for the most part

Old 08-05-2019, 08:49 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Misti
What kind of bike do you have? Depends on the organization....I work with the California Superbike School and we allow many different types of bikes provided they are safe and well maintained. Each bikes goes through tech inspection before it is allowed on track but we don't discriminate on make/model for the most part
01 cbr f4i. But its got the full cage on it I didnt think tracks let you run the cage on track. Can't take it off for for complicated reasons. Still saving up for a canyon/track only bike so I can lean more too

Old 09-03-2019, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by SunBlue
01 cbr f4i. But its got the full cage on it I didnt think tracks let you run the cage on track. Can't take it off for for complicated reasons. Still saving up for a canyon/track only bike so I can lean more too
Don't think that should be a problem at all. On school days where we have students bring their own bikes we end up with all types including Harley's and touring bikes. As long as everything is attached and the bike and tires are in good working order the bike should pass tech! You can always call the office to confirm You can also just show up and ride one of our bikes, we have the new 2020 BMW S1000's and they are amazing!

Wooot!!

Old 12-20-2021, 06:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think for every thing before starting, we should have some information about the things like what is this, and also familiar about its function. if we get some training its a plus point.