Track Techniques Smooth and fast around the track. Share your track knowledge with the masses.
View Poll Results: Invest in the California Superbike School 2 day camp?
Yes
80.00%
No
20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

California Superbike 2 day camp or not?

Old 10-31-2010, 10:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default California Superbike 2 day camp or not?

Definitely going to hit the track in '11. Question: is it worth investing the $2300 for the 2 day camp from the California Superbike School or take a regular trackday + instruction?

I'm not sure I'll get hooked on riding the track regularly. But definitely going to go to learn and improve my skills. The reason why I'm considering the 2 day camp is the access to all their training bikes (lean, slide, braking) plus more personal instruction (and a lot of track time).

The reason I'm asking this early is obviously to start collecting the $2300 in a bank account

Old 11-01-2010, 01:01 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id say do it if you can afford it. You'll learn stuff there that you may not ever learn anywhere else! Could just save your life in a hairy situation someday on the road. Plus, it will help you on the track when you do go.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i did my first track day for 125$ plus 65 for the rentals, if you buy your own gear, say 1000 for everything, thats still 10 trackdays you can do for the price of the 2 day school.

I think youd get much more from those ten or so track days then a 2 day school with them. If you got serious into trackdays and more advanced then id say it could be useful.

i also got a a few one on one sessions with a coach they dont mind helping out at all

Old 11-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Refer to the first ever post/thread in this section.

Yes, its "worth" the cost. Even if you never ride track again, the course will make you a better rider, w/a better understanding of technique. For Superbike School, you basically show up w/ your personal protective gear & all else is provided. Training from world-class instructors isn't cheap but you'll learn a lot. Btw, I'd seriously recommend you put down your deposit if you want to hold a slot.

Naturally, along w/ the cost of the school, you'll have to allow for travel/lodging/meals...which can be considerable. Nevertheless, since you are planning ahead, you can save accordingly.

For trackday type instruction, do your research on trackday organizations that offer a good first-timers/beginners course instruction. Instructors & Control Riders will help you learn proper technique & you'll have immediate feedback after each track session. While trackdays are less expensive than the Superbike School, you'll be using your own bike & will have to do your own prep. Typically, there are more riders on the track w/ you in this type of instruction, which can be distracting for first-time track riders. However, a good trackday organization will be willing to help at every turn. Pardon the pun.

Along w/ researching trackday orgs, if you're unsure of exactly what they offer, call them. A good org will want to talk to you, to help you decide if what they offer is what you're looking for.

If you love riding, & I think you do , you'll get hooked on riding track & will want to go every chance you get. Its addictive!

Good luck in your reserach & decision.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:23 PM

The Code school is of course excellent and the top of the pyramid, but to best absorb everything he teaches you I would recommend some local trackday experience first. Otherwise, you'll be overwhelmed. JMHO.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:27 PM

bluedevil3758: the biggest benefit of taking the camp are their special bikes. Nobody has anything like the brake / slide / lean bikes.

gotcbr: California Superbike School hit NJ Thunderbolt Raceway 3 times this year. Travel and lodgings are gas money and toll fare for the VW if they come back in 2011

randyjoy: I'm undecided because it'll mean giving up smoking (and a few other things) to save money. And that'll really endanger lives. Might kill a few people during the nicotine withdraw

Old 11-01-2010, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
randyjoy: I'm undecided because it'll mean giving up smoking (and a few other things) to save money. And that'll really endanger lives. Might kill a few people during the nicotine withdraw
HaHa. I know what you mean, I cold turkey'd it about 10 years ago. But I don't know if I could do an Endurance Race if I still smoked and scuba too (my other hobby).

In a years time, at today's cig prices I would have the money.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:51 PM

Hmm... found out today I may not have to save all that hard.

We're union at our shop and have been working without a contract since January. Well they're getting ready to finally sign a contract and part of the negotiations is retroactive pay for whatever our raise is with no limit. Might end up halfway there+ after taxes in a single paycheck.

If that goes thru (provided our union reps know when to STFU), it'll be a definite

Old 11-04-2010, 09:51 PM

Hmm... found out today I may not have to save all that hard.

We're union at our shop and have been working without a contract since January. Well they're getting ready to finally sign a contract and part of the negotiations is retroactive pay for whatever our raise is with no limit. Might end up halfway there+ after taxes in a single paycheck.

If that goes thru (provided our union reps know when to STFU), it'll be a definite

Old 11-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well that is good news! Hope it works out for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: California Superbike 2 day camp or not?