Track Techniques Smooth and fast around the track. Share your track knowledge with the masses.
View Poll Results: Invest in the California Superbike School 2 day camp?
Yes
80.00%
No
20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

California Superbike 2 day camp or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kuroshio
bluedevil3758: the biggest benefit of taking the camp are their special bikes. Nobody has anything like the brake / slide / lean bikes.

i always wanted to try one of those motorcycles that lean! hahaha just messing but i still think its a waste, me personally, there was to much to think about then wheres my max lean and sliding the rear tire

itd be a great school once i got better but especially the first time on the track there will be so much going though my head i doubt i wouldve gotten any more from them vs say art I with team pro motion with who i went with

but i highly doubt youll never wanna go to the track again, just remember its gonna get expensive and you wont be able to say no

Old 01-02-2011, 02:58 PM

I took the two day course twice to get to level 4. IMO it is definetly worth it. You will learn alot of things that most riders either don't know or will not tell you. There are alot of subtle things, ie. riding postion, steering, looking etc. that you will get from the course. All of the technical aspects are there to make you a faster and more knowledgeable rider. It also helps on the street in that if you practice all that you have learned (it is alot of info, trust me) it may literaly save your life. All of the things that you learn will start to be instinctual if you practice them.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Banned

I know this is old but I wouldn't go straight to a superbike or race school until you've at least busted out a couple trackdays. Just find a good trackday org and have a control rider do lead/follow and then talk to them.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by madman
I know this is old but I wouldn't go straight to a superbike or race school until you've at least busted out a couple trackdays. Just find a good trackday org and have a control rider do lead/follow and then talk to them.
This brings up a good question about the school (one that I have asked before on other forums). Do you think you should do a few trackdays before hitting a riding school like the California Superbike School (BTW I'm a coach with them) or take the school (or others) first and THEN do trackdays? Thoughts?

Misti

Old 02-18-2012, 01:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What does Keith say?

Old 02-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Misti
This brings up a good question about the school (one that I have asked before on other forums). Do you think you should do a few trackdays before hitting a riding school like the California Superbike School (BTW I'm a coach with them) or take the school (or others) first and THEN do trackdays? Thoughts?

Misti
Think its easier and faster to learn new good habits than to unlearn bad ones. I mean how much time do you waste going "nonono, I told you not like that"?

Old 02-19-2012, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
What does Keith say?
I'll ask him

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Think its easier and faster to learn new good habits than to unlearn bad ones. I mean how much time do you waste going "nonono, I told you not like that"?
This is what I think as well. I often hear people saying that you should do track days first to get a feel for the track before you go to a riding school but I think it should be the other way around. I think you should do a riding school first in order to get a good handle on proper riding technique in a controlled environment and then take it to the track. When you go to a track day AFTER a riding school you will have a good idea of things to work on and areas that you need improvement on instead of just riding around developing bad habits

When I first started riding I never took any riding classes and while I was quick, I had no idea what I was doing. I started racing and doing track days and it wasn't until after a year that I took the California Superbike School as a student (before I ever became a coach). I had such a hard time unlearning all the bad habits I had picked up in that year of racing/riding and I also had several crashes (due to poor technique). Once I had a solid foundation of the proper way to ride, I was able to take the time during race practice and track days to work on those skills and improve my riding.

I also think that a school environment is a little less intimidating if it is your first time ever on a track. At a school they will walk you through all aspects of riding on a track while at the same time giving you the proper tools to do it correctly.

Misti

Old 06-20-2012, 09:04 PM

if you can afford it, you can't go wrong with keith's school. however, most track day orgs have very capable instructors. if i were you, i'd get the basics down first, then invest that money when you are already up to speed.

remember, the best insurance you can buy when going to the track is new tires!!! don't skimp on tires!

Old 06-21-2012, 01:02 AM
August 2011 ROTM

I was seriously considering doing all of their courses even though I would only ride on the street. I watched some videos about the courses and I would so do it if I can make sure I can reach the ground on lowered BMW 1000

We have a school here that are run by instructors who are certified by his school. They don't have the special bikes but since I can do it with my own bike, I would be interested in attending when I am able

Last edited by yumoncbr; 06-21-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by yumoncbr
I was seriously considering doing all of their courses even though I would only ride on the street. I watched some videos about the courses and I would so do it if I can make sure I can reach the ground on lowered BMW 1000

We have a school here that are run by instructors who are certified by his school. They don't have the special bikes but since I can do it with my own bike, I would be interested in attending when I am able
What school is that?

Quick Reply: California Superbike 2 day camp or not?