Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

street riding sketchy turns

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like what you had to say woot, way more detail then I care to go into, but the more I think about it I believe working on getting used to leaning still has a place on the street. If you don't know how to get off the bike, and you come into a corner too hot, all the throttle control and smoothness in the world won't save you, you have to lean in and properly place your weight or you won't make it.

The biggest difference you can make in the corners is body position and weight placement. Throttle control is important as well but on a 600, you aren't very likely to give it too much throttle, this is more an issue on liter bikes.

In the grand scheme of things, every piece of the puzzle is important. However, if you are going to focus on 1 piece of the puzzle of the time, just don't push yourself to the limit or you may end up hurt.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My issue with body position is that there is an order to learning; my suggestion is to learn the most important stuff first. While learning go slow - as it is easier to learn while going slowly and not in panic mode.

I agree - bad body position is bad... completely. Don't do it wrong. But if you just sit up on the seat and don't hang from the bike, you won't hurt it... not at this speed.

Body position is a more advanced topic than braking (obviously). What is less obvious is throttle position. Being rough on the throttle will cause an accident -- off throttle puts the weight on the front tire, and your rear tire will swing around setting up a high side. On the throttle will spit the rear tire out as well, and you can hope for a low side. But throttle position will also have a lot more subtle effect on the bikes suspension in terms of how it holds a line in a corner -- which you'll feel as a hunting feeling from the front, or a wobbling feeling from the back.

BAD body position is never good - but neutral body position will not hurt on the street at sane speeds. When someone is learning they tend to focus on doing one thing right, and if I were to suggest doing one thing right it would be the brakes. That can be learned to a basic skill level quickly. The throttle is a bit more sensitive and less obvious. Then sure move on to more advanced topics WHEN the body is doing the rest of it naturally.

I've seen a lot of new riders try to hang off bikes -- they do all kinds of weird things like have their knee out but their body nearly up to the outside mirror (pushing the bike under themselves), or have the heel on the peg and the toe just about touching (levers the rear tire off the ground and low sides quickly), and I've seen people hang from the bars and steer the bike accidentally while trying to hang off.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:29 PM
2011 Ride of the Year
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man yesterday i was sitting straight up on the turn and it felt little weird. (first day of riding street bike) today i put over 100 miles on the bike in about 35F weather, but

i have watched the vids on how to corner correctly.

even with cold surface and less warm tires than nice weather, cornering felt natural and the bike felt like it was glued to the road.

other words, i think people who ride for the first time should at least watch vids on how to ride any bike correctly. that will teach a lot of riders, and they will be less likely to pick up bad habits. and we all know habits can be a Bi*ch to brake.

i cant wait for nice weather to practice cornering some more, without fear of excess salt or sand on the road.

took the bike through some twistiest today and those vids did help a lot. i went slow and without the knee out but i made sure to stay in line with the bike and go even with or even past the mirror of which dirrection i was going.

to new riders who hasnt tried it yet........IT WORKS. and it feels just right. makes you feel like youre one with the bike.

make sure to practice somewhere safe if you feel uncomfortable on the street.