New Member Area New to CBRForum? Stop in and introduce yourself.

New to street riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to street riding

Hi everyone,

Just bought my first street bike

Name:  DmoAn.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  503 Bytes

I've riden dirtbikes before and have the throttle, shifting, and smoothness down. Definitely learning on how to properly and safely corner a street bike since it's completely different from riding on dirt.

Question,

I've always up-shifted without using the clutch after going into 2nd gear. Never had a problem doing so on dirtbikes. Shouldn't be any different or harmful to street bikes. Correct?

I'm located in NOVA (northern Virginia) so if there are any fellow NOVA'ers out there we should go ride one of these days!

Old 07-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome aboard & congrats on getting your F4i! Nice looking bike.

Yep, riding sport bikes is dif than riding dirt. I grew up riding dirt as well. While having the background in riding dirt will help, there are many more techniques to learn riding on the street/track w/ sport bikes. Most of your braking is up front w/ sport bikes...so, stay off that rear brake! ;-) I recommend you taking the MSF course Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

Use your clutch. Your bike will thank you in the long run. ;-)

Be safe out there.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome to the forum!
That's a nice bike. Of course..I'm partial to red.
Check the regional section to find members and rides near you.
Ride safe out there and mostly use the clutch...

Old 07-06-2012, 02:49 PM
Default Welcome!

'02-03'? It looks nicer than my 04! Ahh the split seats.

Anyways, I rode dirt when I was younger as well. Took the MSF course mainly because I needed a license quickly and it's apparently an 11 week wait to get a test here in Wisconsin. I'd say it was beneficial, regardless of my previous riding skills.

Welcome to the streets!

Old 07-06-2012, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by OrangeChrome
'02-03'? It looks nicer than my 04! Ahh the split seats.

Anyways, I rode dirt when I was younger as well. Took the MSF course mainly because I needed a license quickly and it's apparently an 11 week wait to get a test here in Wisconsin. I'd say it was beneficial, regardless of my previous riding skills.

Welcome to the streets!
It's a 01' with 5k~ miles! I've already acquired a learners permit. Which allows me to operate the bike with a fully licensed motorcyclist. I always go out with my friend, I will also be attending many riding meets, and events to get a full grasp of everything. The many posts and videos in the new rider forum have already helped immensely!

Old 07-06-2012, 04:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Georgeous bike. Using the clutch is semi-optional if you are really good at finding the sweet spot in a rev-match, but even if you are really good at it be aware that it will cause premature wear on the transmission dogs. As long as you only do it once in a while, it's not a big deal, but if you shift without the clutch most of the time you will most likely need a transmission rebuild at 40 or 50 thousand miles, and maybe sooner if you aren't smooth.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by wagzhp
Georgeous bike. Using the clutch is semi-optional if you are really good at finding the sweet spot in a rev-match, but even if you are really good at it be aware that it will cause premature wear on the transmission dogs. As long as you only do it once in a while, it's not a big deal, but if you shift without the clutch most of the time you will most likely need a transmission rebuild at 40 or 50 thousand miles, and maybe sooner if you aren't smooth.
I've found I need to be quick on the wrist to get it perfect and it's tiring. lol may have to start using the clutch now and not use it every once in a while.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:28 AM
Thumbs up Welcome

Hi n welcome bro, nice bike, does perform as good as it looks? Never riden dirt machines only little and big road pounders. Keep ridin safe.

Old 07-07-2012, 03:50 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That bike looks sweet!

Welcome to the forum!

Old 07-08-2012, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by daviej
Hi n welcome bro, nice bike, does perform as good as it looks? Never riden dirt machines only little and big road pounders. Keep ridin safe.
Thanks! Yep, doesn't miss a beat.