Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Positioning your bike at a traffic light

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best position at a light imo is the one that will either provide the cleanest escape or the most armor.

I choose the left or right part of the lane based on this. For example on a street with parking on both sides, the side that has the widest amount of space between the vehicles in front of me and the parked cars.

But on a 2 lane street with a right turn lane, the right side of my lane is actually more dangerous. Someone can misjudge the space to hit the right turn lane cleanly. Trying to escape to the right will keep me in their path of travel longer. The safer position is the left hand side of the lane. It gives someone going for the right turn lane more space. And if I need to escape to the left, the front car and the front / left car will provide an armored buffer with my bike between them.

Basically I'd say remember that situations on the street are fluid. You cannot decide anything ahead of time. Locking yourself into a choice can end up screwing you

Old 05-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VeryMotley
AZ. is about to, or has had, a lane splitting/filtering debate, I am curious of your opinions, AZ. story reminded me of it, should pass now.

I want lane splitting in TX. but I do not know if the highways in California are wider, looks like newer Texas roads' lanes' are narrower than the old ones, so maybe that is not as easy as passing a law
Having spent some time in SoCal and Houston, I'd say the highway lanes are about the same.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know, Thanks Chuck, I now know I can send e-mails and not be pissing in the wind.
Or at least feel less like I am.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VeryMotley
Has anyone seen how they do it in Taiwan? Watch some of Mordeth13's stuff on youtube.com and you'll see. That is cool. Are other countries like this?
Here in Korea they split lanes like it's their job. I rarely split lanes nowadays since most car drivers are gracious enough to move over when I'm coming up behind them, but I still do on rare occasion.

As far as the OP's question, I filter up to the front almost whenever I get to a red light. The surprise of having another vehicle move by you so closely ensures that the driver is aware that you are there. Maybe one of these days I'll get run over, but I don't really think there's much to do if you're sitting at a light and some douchebag decides that the text message he got is more important than paying attention to a traffic signal.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:34 PM

I was in Taiwan in the late 90's and man, there were scooters everywhere!

It seemed like the only real way to travel. Parking spaces are like diamonds....so rare.

I remember watching one lady riding her scooter in heavy traffic in the rain, and she nearly clipped a car or rear-ended it.

For the most part though, it was very fluid traffic and smooth. Just scooters everywhere the eye could see, parked on the side...on the road....everywhere!

Old 05-24-2010, 10:36 PM

Did I mention that in Taiwan, scooters are everywhere?

Old 06-06-2010, 03:24 AM

hmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!

there aint much i can offer in this regard apart from old school advice

ride slow ride safe

Old 06-08-2010, 06:56 AM

Thats a pretty good tactic. Always good to keep your eyes behind you at a stop light - would be terrible to get run into like that because of someone else.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:10 AM
Red face

Thanks for chiming in everybody!

Us riders, we gotta stick together.