Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

How to trip a traffic light with a motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to trip a traffic light with a motorcycle

*Disclaimer* this write up is not mine and I will not be held accountable for your actions. I am providing the information below because I found them interesting and educational. I'm not in any way condoning these actions. Please use common sense and judgment before taking action.
On that note- if you have tried and succeeded feel free to enlighten us.
Tong,

From ABOUT.COM
How To Trip a Traffic Light With a Motorcycle
From Walter Kern,
Your Guide to Motorcycles.

Every motorcyclist has pulled up to a red traffic light and waited to get the bike to trip a sensor to activate a left-turn or green traffic light. Often they just do not trip. Here are some things to try.
Difficulty: Average

Time Required: varies

Here's How:
1. Get off your bike and push the "walk" button if it is safe. (I think this is if there on one around-dont do this in heavy traffic)

2. Sometimes you may just have to look both ways and run the light. In some places it's OK to "proceed with caution" after 15 minutes, in some places after 2 cycles. You need to know what the law is in your area.

3. If you fail to trigger the switch, wait at least one more cycle and then proceed when it is safe.

4. Sometimes it helps to kill the engine and restart it just to get the magnetic fields going over the tripping device. Put yourself right over the detector in the pavement. Give the bike a couple of good revs.

5. Turn right and then do a "U" turn when you can.

6. Threaten legal action. Start by calling the street department and complaining. Every week re-check the light. If you get no action, send them a nice professional letter threatening them with a lawsuit.

7. As you approach the intersection, there are lines cut into the pavement where the sensor was put in. The sensor pad is octagonal or square. Put the most metal over the intersection of two sides.

8. Another trick is to put out your kickstand. If you can get the kickstand out, there is more of a metal area to detect. Don't forget to retract your kickstand when the light finally changes. (mines die when the kickstand is down)

9. Rig your bike with an electro-magnet under the frame. This is wired into the brake lamp circuit and induces enough of a field to trip most lights.

10. Consider the purchase of a device that will trip the light for you. Two such products are the Green Light Trigger and the Red Light Changer.

11. A new trend is the introduction of special motorcycle boxes that show you where to stop your bike to trip the light. The front-most "box" has additional diagonal lines, with a bike icon painted in the box.

12. Roll forwards and back in an effort to trip the sensors.

13. If you are waiting for a left-turn signal light to change, you can always proceed through the intersection on green and make three successive right-hand turns. This only works with regular city blocks.

14. Some states have sensors in the lights that can detect flashing lights of police cars and ambulances, and will quickly change the light. You might try flashing your lights to see if that will trip

Old 12-15-2005, 01:51 AM
L8X
Default RE: How to trip a traffic light with a motorcycle

i once pulled up at a light with a buddy. long story short, im impatient so i went thru the red. I beat him home by 20 minutes! (he waited!!) AHAhahahahaha! Thanks for the info!

Old 12-15-2005, 04:21 AM

In Tennessee we can come to a complete stop at the light, look both ways and go legally. Obviously if you pull out in front of someone and survive your at fault. Passed through state legislation a couple of years ago for us motorcyclist.

Old 12-15-2005, 06:34 AM

damn lights[:@]

Old 02-13-2006, 05:02 PM

I would be extremely cautious in San Diego while doing this. Cops already have a vendetta out for sportbikes and imports.

Old 02-13-2006, 06:12 PM
Default San Diego

I as well live and ride in San Diego.

The CHP cop who taught at the safety course I took to get my license, specifically endorsed the "wait a light cycle or two, then treat the intersection as a blinking red light (stop sign)"

Has anybody in greater SD area ever gotten pulled over doing so?

Old 02-14-2006, 04:31 AM
Default RE: San Diego

sometimes I know there ain't any cycles until a vehicule sets it off
so I just go after about 2minutes
Last time I turn left on a red light that never sets off and there was a cop stopped couple feet away at the next stop light on the left
don't think he saw me hehe

Old 02-14-2006, 08:25 AM
Retired Administrator

I have a traffic light a few blocks from my home that always catches me and it's right in front of a police station. It's a turn lane light that never changes unless there is a car, well... it changes during work hour traffic, but not in the evenings, night or weekends. I never wait for the light, just use it as a caution or yield and go. I've done this a dozen times with a cops sitting at the light.... never looked at me twice.

Old 02-14-2006, 05:26 PM

Some light have sensors mounted to the support beam that pick up the strobe lights of emergency veh's(police, fire and EMS). Sometimes at night if you flash your high beams a few times when approaching the intersection it will QUICKLY turn green. Only works at night because during the day headlights dont give off the power like a strobe does, it really pisses people off thought when theres an oncoming veh. This sensor is shaped something like a pop can and is easy to see.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:34 PM

They just passed a new law here in NC, that if your on a motorcycle and the light stays red for longer than 20 secs then you can go on through when its clear.

Quick Reply: How to trip a traffic light with a motorcycle