CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Riding Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/)
-   -   Positioning your bike at a traffic light (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-skills-88/positioning-your-bike-traffic-light-109545/)

MT Wallet 04-25-2010 09:21 PM

Positioning your bike at a traffic light

*You pull up to a red light at an intersection and come to a complete stop. There is a vehicle directly in front of you (also stopped and waiting for the red light to turn green) and a vehicle stopped to your left and right, with no vehicle behind you.

How do you guys do it? What part of the lane do you recommend?

This is what I like to do: I will leave enough of a buffer zone between my bike and the car stopped directly in front of me. (in case the bike decides to roll backwards....for example, we are stopped in traffic on a hill and the car has a manual transmission. Or say, the driver decides to reverse toward me)

If that happens, I will ride around the car...or if that is not possible, I will have more time to react and maybe beep my horn and if there is enough of a buffer zone between my bike and the reversing car, the driver of the car will stop reversing at me.

I will also position my bike so that it is at a slight angle.....and not pointed directly (perpendicular) at the vehicle in front of me....instead my bike will be at a slight angle...and pointed either slightly to the left or right.

I am basically pointing the bike at any area where I can have an escape route, should someone from behind me decide to run into me...and it is a very slight angle...so that when the light turns green I can still adjust the bike quickly to drive in a straight line again.

At the same time, I will have my eyes on my mirrors with the bike IN 1st GEAR and never in neutral (unless my clutch hand is really sore/tired) and ready to move into either escape route...basically I can go left or right and between any cars that are in front of me.

Only when a vehicle has come to a dead stop BEHIND my bike, will I put her in neutral.

Of course, sometimes by then the light will turn to green. lol

halffast1g 04-25-2010 09:32 PM

yes

kilgoretrout 04-25-2010 10:04 PM

Yep, pretty much it.
Except I rarely ever use neutral, even after cars stop behind me.

dmcb2120 04-26-2010 12:06 AM

+1 Except for being on an angle. Most of the lanes here a pretty wide so I stop outside grooves which is usually enough room for another car to be next me and still be in the same lane.

MT Wallet 04-26-2010 12:13 AM

My hand gets so sore after riding, I still sometimes pop her in neutral and break my own rule lol.

MT Wallet 04-26-2010 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by dmcb2120 (Post 912225)
+1 Except for being on an angle. Most of the lanes here a pretty wide so I stop outside grooves which is usually enough room for another car to be next me and still be in the same lane.

I wanna ride where you live!

MT Wallet 04-26-2010 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout (Post 912192)
Yep, pretty much it.
Except I rarely ever use neutral, even after cars stop behind me.

I need to be more disciplined and ride more, to get more strength in my clutch hand.

gotcbr 04-26-2010 02:53 PM

You simply have to be aware of your surroundings & anticipate possibilities, as you are doing. I never stop directly square behind a vehicle at a light. I like to have an escape route via one corner or the other, of the car in front of me.

There have been a couple of stories in motorcycling news recently that have really brought this issue to the forefront...the most recent were the cyclists killed sitting at red light in AZ...http://www.kvoa.com/news/3-phx-motor...n-truck-crash/ .

There was another story a few mos back of a couple of middle-aged riders on their dream ride cross-county to the CA coast. While sitting at a red light, they were rear-ended by an idiot & one rider was killed. They had ridden all the way from the eastern U.S. to their destination just to have this happen.

MT Wallet 04-26-2010 05:27 PM

Excellent advice gotcbr!

VeryMotley 05-10-2010 10:29 AM

AZ. is about to, or has had, a lane splitting/filtering debate, I am curious of your opinions, AZ. story reminded me of it, should pass now.

I want lane splitting in TX. but I do not know if the highways in California are wider, looks like newer Texas roads' lanes' are narrower than the old ones, so maybe that is not as easy as passing a law

Has anyone seen how they do it in Taiwan? Watch some of Mordeth13's stuff on youtube.com and you'll see. That is cool. Are other countries like this?