Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

I went down with my bike this morning

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I went down with my bike this morning

Ppl say accidents mostly happen closed to your home/work...somewhere you are just too comfortable with. That's very true. This morning, I rode to work. as I was turning into the parking lot, my bike slipped due to the loose gravel all over on the street (construction in front of the parking lot) and it lost its speed and suddenly fell on one side. I didnt even have time to panic, it just happened so quickly. Ironically, I had a strange feeling this morning and was thinking that I sholudnt ride to work, but I did anyway. The good news was I had my jacket and gloves on and that's the only reason I was able to walk away without a scratch. (In the past a few weeks, I was riding without jacket and gloves because it was just too hot.) Now that I think about it, riding without proper gear was definitely not the smartest thing you want to do. A lot of ppl here might disagree with me, but I just can't imagine what would have happened to me if I didnt wear my jacket and gloves. I probably won't be here typing, that's for sure. The bike has a few minor scratches on the right side of the fairing. The slider and the bar end took the most impact, (I was also very glad that I fixed the bar end last week. Thank you cbrforum ppl), the screw that holds the slider in place is bent and needs to be replaced.

I just want to share this with all the new riders, be careful of the road condition and alway, always wear your gear. "It happened to me, and it could happen to you"!!!(quote from J-Rock, the trailer park boys. lol)

Last edited by hikeetech; 07-27-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:22 AM
October 2011 ROTM

Glad that your alright man. This is a prime example of why you should ALWAYS wear your gear just because you never know. When the heat index was 110 here last week I rode and still wore my jacket, gloves, helmet and what not. As a wise man once said "Sweat wipes off, road rash does not". I know all too well about having that gut feeling that you shouldn't ride but still do. It was only 2 days ago I had that feeling in the morning but I rode anyway when a car was making a left hand turn (there was not left turn lane so he was in my lane) and of course no turn signal or brake lights so by the time I figured he wasn't moving and I was going to slam into the back of them I had to get on the binders hard and scared the **** out of me. Looks like your bike is rideable which is great. My suggestion is to get back on it asap but just take it slow and get your confidence back.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by R Dub
Glad that your alright man. This is a prime example of why you should ALWAYS wear your gear just because you never know. When the heat index was 110 here last week I rode and still wore my jacket, gloves, helmet and what not. As a wise man once said "Sweat wipes off, road rash does not". I know all too well about having that gut feeling that you shouldn't ride but still do. It was only 2 days ago I had that feeling in the morning but I rode anyway when a car was making a left hand turn (there was not left turn lane so he was in my lane) and of course no turn signal or brake lights so by the time I figured he wasn't moving and I was going to slam into the back of them I had to get on the binders hard and scared the **** out of me. Looks like your bike is rideable which is great. My suggestion is to get back on it asap but just take it slow and get your confidence back.
Thank man. You know what I am going to do? I am going to print out a sign of "Sweat wipes off, road rash does not" and post it right on top of my hangers where I keep my jacket as a reminder. I was able to walk away this time and that might be a little warning sign right there. ppl say we spend our whole life live with our mistakes, but the bottom line is, you gotta live first.

Thank you wise man.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:56 PM

sorry to here man. pick your self up and ride again

Old 07-28-2011, 08:02 PM

yup, all I have to replace is the screws for the slider and one of the screws for the frame as they were bent....
now the 'sweat wipes off, road rash does NOT" sign is up on top of my coat hanger where i keep my riding jacket

Old 08-05-2011, 04:58 PM

Glad to hear you are OK. I did the same thing a few months ago and I was SOOOO glad I had my gear on. Not a scratch, just a bit sore the next day. I love that quote!

Old 09-13-2011, 10:03 PM

hey at least you didnt hit a samsquampsh ( also trailer park boys lol) glad your ok man.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:05 PM

I had a close call tonight I thought I was going to get hit by the car behind me. I just got off of the off ramp and I made my turn and a truck was in front of me he slammed on his brakes I was in mid turn a car was dead in the lane in front. I turned fast into the left lane and had to go around them both cuz the car behind me was going to hit me. It was at night too. I got the feeling of wow this is it? Really? That was my first close call and I was scared I'm a pretty new rider so I'm glad I pulled threw. I just about did not have my gear on it was really hot out but I put it on still and now I won't ever ride without it. It's are seatbelts are gear is in a way a hoodie won't save you from the ground. But I'm glad your ok and your bike.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:10 PM

Sorry to hear of your mishap but, thank you for the report. We all need to read about the issues that could be our own folly if we do not protected against and make provisions to avoid.