Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

hand position questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by newb craig
I got taught to keep off the brake and clutch unless you needed them, but I always keep my middle and index atleast resting on the top of the break leaver (not the clutch). We were taught that as apparently the tendency for a newer rider is to panic and grab whatever is there, clutch kills the drive to the rear leaving the front to lock and throw you off. Not sure what other schools in the UK teach but where I learnt was 70/30 front to rear in the dry, 50/50 in the wet and rear only below 10mph.
it all depends what kind of riding your doing. track and trail breaking i use one two fingers street i may use 2 a lot but sometimes 4 just depends

Old 07-08-2011, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Those racers don't go from no brake to full brake in an instant. Sayingits possible to brake hard enough to make the rotors glow can be misinterpretted to mean there isn't a proper way to engage that much braking force. And the majority of us don't have racing suspension and tires in that type of condition.

Simply grabbing the front brake with as much force as possible is going to end in a lowside or worse for most people. That's what I'm emphasizing here. Your experience is probably just that: experience. Years and miles of riding automatically doing it the right way without a thought. But we're talking to newer riders here and have to explain what we do and how we do it thoroughly lest they kill themselves trying to replicate it.
I guess if you are only talking about the speed at which you grab a handful of brakes then maybe you are right. I've never been dumb enough to try grabbing with 4 fingers as hard as I can as fast as I can lol. If you brake smooth you can brake hard, and it doesn't have to be with 2 fingers

I may not brake as fast as I can, but its pretty close man, and I don't have race suspension. I run stock suspension on my track bikes as of now.

I don't say this stuff to get people killed. I say it so people gain a little more confidence in their bikes. Confidence is what will make you a better rider especially when you understand where the bike's limits are truly at. Having that confidence and knowledge can save your life. In most cases, rider confidence is far below the bikes abilities.

I don't want anyone to go out and smash their brakes on first try, but seriously... you have to learn what your bike can do if you are going to ride safe. Go out and practice a little bit harder each time. Support the braking force with your knees, keep your weight off your arms and you will get good at it.

Last edited by Dissevered; 07-08-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dissevered
I guess if you are only talking about the speed at which you grab a handful of brakes then maybe you are right. I've never been dumb enough to try grabbing with 4 fingers as hard as I can as fast as I can lol. If you brake smooth you can brake hard, and it doesn't have to be with 2 fingers
There was one in every BRC I've seen that did exactly that and promptly lowsided

But I agree with you 100% on smooth braking allowing you to brake hard, usually with far more force than people expect, without locking the front

Old 07-13-2011, 06:24 PM

Ok, since this post is on hand positioning. I know we're talking about fingers resting on brake/clutch. But, ever since i took the MSF course, I've always felt more comfortable, and more in control with my throttle hand, all the way off to the far side. Like, my ring finger, and pinky are either either on the end cap or off the handle completely. The coaches, obviously told me not too, but my hand always drifted over...My clutch hand is all the way on.

I feel if i have my whole hand on the whole throttle grip, that i can't be as smooth with it. Is it "unsafe"? or is there a reason why i shouldn't hold like that?

Also, upon looking at that picture, i just noticed, the end caps are on the wrong side.... fail previous owner.
Although, i guess it depends on who you wanted to read them? Either way, going to go switch them around now.

Last edited by Susa; 07-13-2011 at 06:29 PM.