Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

hand position questions

Old 06-26-2011, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hand position questions

So I rode dirt for many years before I got a street bike and now that I ride a sport bike a few things are caring over that I'm not sure of. When I'm riding I always keep 2 fingers (index and middle) on the clutch lever and I keep one finger (index) on the front brake at all times. I have been trying to brake the habit (that I picked from riding on the dirt) but it feels strange and kinda like I'm just unprepared for maybe an emergency stop or what not. Am I being paranoid and should I change my grip habits? I would like to know how other riders have been riding and what is comfortable for them.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:54 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do 2-fingers on the levers at all times. I've never riden dirt, but lots of street miles.
I wouldn't change a thing, any other way adds significant reaction time to threats.

The only time I change to a full-finger wrap on the grips is lonely highway, long distance. And I still find myself creeping back to the levers.

The only dis-advantage is you need to have the levers rolled real far forward or you won't be riding with straight wrists (a carpel-tunnel no-no is having your hands bent at the wrists).

I'd say, don't change a thing, just be aware of the issues involved.

Ern

Old 06-26-2011, 08:29 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

i always keep my fingers on the clutch and front break, unless there is no traffic around and no driveways anywhere. i have cut mine to make them shortys,, it works better now i think. it feels a lot better.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I grew up riding dirt as well. So I know where you're coming from.

Don't worry about hand position on the levers right now. You'll adjust your habits when you are more comfortable. One thing that shouldn't carry over from dirt to street, is a heavy right foot on the rear brake. ;-) W/ sport bikes, most of your braking is up front.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
I grew up riding dirt as well. So I know where you're coming from.

Don't worry about hand position on the levers right now. You'll adjust your habits when you are more comfortable. One thing that shouldn't carry over from dirt to street, is a heavy right foot on the rear brake. ;-) W/ sport bikes, most of your braking is up front.
this is very true and I have already made adjustments.... especially after the first time that back tire locked up!!!

thanks for the input everyone

Old 06-30-2011, 08:59 AM

I would casually practice using 2-3 fingers. When you need a handful of brakes in an emergency, 1 finger won't cut it.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:07 PM
July 2014 ROTM
Thumbs up 2 fingers

depending on road and traffic I usually ride with 1 or 2 fingers on both levers. only open roads get no fingers.

IMO if you ride no fingered then you need lightening reflexes

Old 06-30-2011, 06:57 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rear brake and down shift

I've been riding street more than 10 years. Rear brake & down shift is always my first respond to any potential hazard in front. I'll be changing my 3rd rear brake before even changing my 1st front brake. Rear brake and down shifting, front brake will come naturally. Regards to finger position, it is 100% riders choice. The more comfortable you feel, the more safe it will be.

Originally Posted by f4i guy82
So I rode dirt for many years before I got a street bike and now that I ride a sport bike a few things are caring over that I'm not sure of. When I'm riding I always keep 2 fingers (index and middle) on the clutch lever and I keep one finger (index) on the front brake at all times. I have been trying to brake the habit (that I picked from riding on the dirt) but it feels strange and kinda like I'm just unprepared for maybe an emergency stop or what not. Am I being paranoid and should I change my grip habits? I would like to know how other riders have been riding and what is comfortable for them.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by estate4life
I've been riding street more than 10 years. Rear brake & down shift is always my first respond to any potential hazard in front. I'll be changing my 3rd rear brake before even changing my 1st front brake. Rear brake and down shifting, front brake will come naturally. Regards to finger position, it is 100% riders choice. The more comfortable you feel, the more safe it will be.
sorry but im going to have to disagree. rear brake and down shift sounds like a high side to me. you may do it well but for someone learning i would never tell em to do that. but as for fingers i treat em like my ladies no more then 2

Old 06-30-2011, 10:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by philthethrillohio
sorry but im going to have to disagree. rear brake and down shift sounds like a high side to me. you may do it well but for someone learning i would never tell em to do that. but as for fingers i treat em like my ladies no more then 2
+1
Rear brake + engine braking (from the downshift) is gonna break the rear loose for someone that isn't used to it.

For a new rider, I always recommend the safest answer. Which would be both brakes simultaneously. And for the original poster, I'd add the recommendation to get at least a 2nd finger on the brake.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hand position questions