Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

dunno where to post this, but is there a lean angle sweet spot

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dunno where to post this, but is there a lean angle sweet spot

is there such a thing? i've tweaked what i can with my current suspension, increased rear preload and my turn in is amazing.
so a couple of times with this setup i've found that the bike gets to a point and just steers itself through the turn.
i wouldnt be surprised if i could touch my knee if i wanted to, but i think it may be quite a reach.
regardless, from this point i think i need to actually provide input on the bars to tell the bike to turn in more or stand up. pretty sure i do but like i said only twice have i found it.
and does anyone know if i can make that sweet spot happen at other angles by adjusting the bike geometry?

Old 01-28-2013, 08:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Moved to Riding Skills because fairly certain it has a lot less to do with the bike's geometry than you think

Old 01-29-2013, 08:04 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

I would recommend reading these 3 books: Twist of the Wrist Volumes 1 & 2 by Keith Code and Sportbike Suspension Tuning by Andrew Trevitt. They are all pretty short and will help you with understanding whats going on with the bike and you as you turn. They will also help with your riding. And before you jump into messing with your bikes suspension too much the third book talks about what all the different adjustments to and more importantly what they when combined.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:34 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

imo - it's relative the relationship between your speed and angle taken in cornering.

But 1mm from having your pegs scraping could be considered pretty darned sweet imo

Old 01-29-2013, 08:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's why they say you ride a bike whereas you drive a car. As they state in TOTW by Keith Code, the biggest piece of equipment that can upset a bike's performance is the nut behind the fuel tank. The bike will perform like this at almost any lean angle so long as you're letting the bike do the work. There are also issues like body positioning and stuff, but that's a whole 'nother topic covered in other threads as well as in the books listed by CJardine.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:08 AM

If you don't want to pay for TOTW2, watch it on the youtube

Last edited by RedBaron; 02-10-2013 at 06:02 AM. Reason: TOTW!
Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 PM

awesome, thanks i'll actually see if i can buy those books, even if i found a pdf ink is silly expensive and this time i would like to donate, if it helps anyways.
shop manuals yeah pdf, and on my phone. i also watched twist of the wrist 2 twice, but never read the books
the reason i ask is because of course i've been in turns before, but i mean rarely did it feel so planted, i guess i hit the right speed at the right angle.
im used to more aggressive/adjusted cornering due to public roads but this round about i saw the apex and wow did it feel great.