CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

lean angle and knee pucks

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lean angle and knee pucks

I am considering doing a track day with my 91 CBR 1000F and I have some important questions.
can you lean our big bikes over enough to drag a knee with out modifying them to gain extra cornering clearence. The reason I am aksing is that my leathers don't come with external knee pucks. even though they are one piece they are street leathers not track leathers. If my bike doesn't have the cornering clearence to drag a knee I won't worry about aquireing a set of track leathers with external knee pucks.

If the big ole girl does have the cornering clearance to drag a knee, can you stitch velcro onto your leathers if they didn't come with them witth out destrying a 600.00 set of leathers.

If not then no knee dragging for me because I am not going to hack up my bike nore ruine a set of leathers.
just wanting to be informed.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: lean angle and knee pucks

ORIGINAL: rdsii64

I am considering doing a track day with my 91 CBR 1000F and I have some important questions.
can you lean our big bikes over enough to drag a knee with out modifying them to gain extra cornering clearence. The reason I am aksing is that my leathers don't come with external knee pucks. even though they are one piece they are street leathers not track leathers. If my bike doesn't have the cornering clearence to drag a knee I won't worry about aquireing a set of track leathers with external knee pucks.

If the big ole girl does have the cornering clearance to drag a knee, can you stitch velcro onto your leathers if they didn't come with them witth out destrying a 600.00 set of leathers.

If not then no knee dragging for me because I am not going to hack up my bike nore ruine a set of leathers.
just wanting to be informed.
I say a tailor could hook ya up. Question tho, do you have frame sliders on your bike? If not you may want them b4 hitting the track, and not to mention they can save yer love n joy on the street tho.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:03 PM

I only buff the sides of my shoes on the track and the centre stand on left turns. You should do the track day to see if you get the bug then go for the knee pads. I wear knee pads and a long way off the ground. Cover up the speedo so you don't look at it and pick your braking markers it is not like the road, you do the same corners many times.Where are you from.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:13 PM

One more thing it rips the rubber off your tyres and makes the blood pump. You will go back for more.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:49 PM

You wont stuff the leathers by sewing on knee sliders. You can actually buy strapon knee sliders as well.

I very rarely get me knee down as I am too old and heavy to hang right off the bike.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:35 PM

You can definitely get you knee down in stock trim. I like to use my knee as a feeler to gauge just how far I'm leanung but it's just as eeasy to keep your knee tucked in and off the ground.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:49 AM

I've got it sussed now. Because I can't hang off the bike as far as other riders I just lean the bastard over more. I have removed the hero ***** on the footpegs. That way when I feel my toe slider hitting the road I know I am at the limit of the tyres

Old 09-27-2007, 05:21 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Im with Trips, Its hard to get a knee down.I can slide the bike in a two wheel drift before the knee touches. It is just to big and heavy and the tires don't hold well. Only on certian roads and corners will the knee get close (with me). I use to have jeans with holes in the knees from riding smaller bikes while hanging off the side like a monkey. I also use to grind theengine cases of my 750. You have to remember that it is a sport touring bike and they are bigger and heavier than sport bikes.

Hats off to you HeavyCBR, I wish I could still ride like that.

When followed by my fellow rider, they tell me that swirills of smoke come off of my boots. I grind the hell out of them when slidingthe bitch.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:59 PM

I used to have a prob with the rear end stepping out on me while exiting corners but then I got some better tires (Pilot Powers) and then the bike stuck to the road fantsticly. I think with good stick tires it is very easy to lean this bike to the point of your knee going down and even to the point of the exhaust and centerstand dragging. Many times I have had the exhaust covers grind hard without feeling unsafe. On a hard left though the centerstand has scared the crap out of me. In my photos you can see how I ride and I tend to hang off quite a bit but it seems necessary with the weight of this machine.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:07 AM
Friend and Hero ...

Will agree with you 100%. It was only after R1000 recommended the pilot that I did feel comfortable enough to really push the old big heavy CBR over far enough to scrape the V&H exhaust in a 15 mph horse shoe corner after scraping the can. I said to myself, what are you doing ? and backed out a little bit, but the pilot most definitely makes the CBR stick to the pavement. A lot better than the Dunlop ever did

Quick Reply: lean angle and knee pucks