Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Biker_Angel13
since im a noob im not exactly sure but i think i have a similar problem with my clutch. i have a 95 600 f3 and when im starting from a stop i cant seem to apply the gas at the right time of letting out the clutch and the bike lurches forward and stalls almost every time. is that what it is called, is the friction zone? and i dont know how to adjust my clutch lever... is it just that little disk on the clutch line? im very confused at what i need to do to fix this problem. its really holding back my progression.
Sounds like you're letting the clutch out too fast (dumping it). SovXietday's advice on finding the friction zone is spot on. Get to learn the friction zone before making any adjustments to the clutch lever. To give a little more detailed explanation. Sit on your bike in 1st gear, as SovXietday said, with the clutch fully in and both feet down. Very very slowly begin to let the clutch out until you have to use your legs (not your brakes) to keep from being pulled forward.

What you'll find is there's a point where the clutch isn't fully released but the engine has begun to engage. You don't need any throttle at this point. Your bike shouldn't stall out (unless your idle is too low or some other issue). Actual lever position may vary from bike to bike but properly adjusted the lever should be somewhere around halfway out. You can begin rolling on the throttle at this point.

Starting from a stop light is the same thing, just slightly faster and smoother than your initial practice will be.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SovXietday
I was lucky, the instructor at my course track rode a Ducati Monster like every available weekend he had haha. Really nice dude, knew a lot about motorcycling in general. Just like anything else, some guys are in it because they love it and some just gather the paycheck.

Angel... what do you mean by you can't apply the gas at the same time you let out the clutch? That sounds like something you're doing wrong, not the bike.

Something to try. (This is what you'll learn if you take the MSF course). Sit on the bike, 1st gear. Put your legs out infront of you, and using the power of the bike rock back and forth on your feet. In other words, use the friction zone (where the clutch starts to grab) to walk the bike forward and then use your legs to roll it back. Do that for a while, then try a few powerwalks (power the bike with the friction zone but don't put your feet up). You should be able to keep fairly constant throttle and use the clutch to move the bike faster or slower.

I say try those first because you said you are new. It will get you used to using the clutch and working through the engagement. Just something to try before blaming the bike honestly. Don't want to tear it all apart trying to fix a problem that's not there lol.
its tough to explain on here because no one can try to ride my bike and see what i mean but ill try and explain and see if i make any sense... so i have already had people teach me the trick of just rolling on the bikes friction zone, but with this bike i dont roll (well i roll VERY slowly and only a few inches) its very little if any movement sometimes depending on the slope im on. so yes i understand im a noob but ive practiced letting out the clutch on other motorcycles and ive never had this hard of a time. so thats y im blaming the bike. ill have to have a friend that knows bikes check it out to see what i mean but i SWEAR its not ALL my fault.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For now just keep practicing and see if it gets better. I don't know what kind of other bikes you've ridden, but I'd guess maybe they were v-twins with more torque, which are much more forgiving with all their torque down low. Keep at it and see if it gets better.

You could check out the service manual and go through the section on adjusting your clutch and clutch cable, as a little adjustment may help.

Do you have any play in your clutch?

Last edited by chuckbear; 07-26-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:50 PM

Also where is your bike idling at rpm-wise? F3 should idle around 1250 rpm IIRC. If its idling too low, it'll be prone to stalling when using the friction zone from a dead stop.

...but i SWEAR its not ALL my fault.
No, no worries. We don't blame (except proven squids ). Many times its a matter with starting with the rider and then looking at the bike. Especially if the bike is being taken care of in any real way. Which you indicated in your Howdy post

Neither of my bikes really pulls away when using the friction zone. I have to start giving them throttle the more I let out the clutch. Just have to do it simultaneously and smoothly. About where during your clutch lever's travel does it begin disengaging? It'll give us a better idea of if your lever needs some adjusting too

Old 07-26-2010, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Also where is your bike idling at rpm-wise? F3 should idle around 1250 rpm IIRC. If its idling too low, it'll be prone to stalling when using the friction zone from a dead stop.

No, no worries. We don't blame (except proven squids ). Many times its a matter with starting with the rider and then looking at the bike. Especially if the bike is being taken care of in any real way. Which you indicated in your Howdy post

Neither of my bikes really pulls away when using the friction zone. I have to start giving them throttle the more I let out the clutch. Just have to do it simultaneously and smoothly. About where during your clutch lever's travel does it begin disengaging? It'll give us a better idea of if your lever needs some adjusting too
well i have to go out and check but i believe the lever starts engaging a little over half way (dont quote me on that) and the idle is probably at 900 cuz i think it barely touches the 1 on the gauge. ill try adjusting it and see what happens.

but one thing to note about my bike... ive been finding alot of things misadjusted and/or missing from the bike while ive been working on it. (the petcock and many of the hoses connecting the tank to the fuel pump are just a couple examples) so thats why im very easily ready to ask about misadjustment.

I should know more about my bike soon seeing as im going to be taking a motorcycle mechanics class at the local college in september. Im going to try to get my auto tech certificate so i can open up my own auto shop one day.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:16 PM

well i have to go out and check but i believe the lever starts engaging a little over half way (dont quote me on that) and the idle is probably at 900 cuz i think it barely touches the 1 on the gauge. ill try adjusting it and see what happens.

but one thing to note about my bike... ive been finding alot of things misadjusted and/or missing from the bike while ive been working on it. (the petcock and many of the hoses connecting the tank to the fuel pump are just a couple examples) so thats why im very easily ready to ask about misadjustment.

I should know more about my bike soon seeing as im going to be taking a motorcycle mechanics class at the local college in september. Im going to try to get my auto tech certificate so i can open up my own auto shop one day.
If you're idle when warm is 900, you are too low and that's probably a major source of your problem right there. When the engine begins to engage, the rpms are dropping from Low to "Embarrass her by stalling" almost immediately

Service manual for the F3. If you don't have it already. It'll let you know what the stock settings are and what responses are to be expected when everything is working right.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
If you're idle when warm is 900, you are too low and that's probably a major source of your problem right there. When the engine begins to engage, the rpms are dropping from Low to "Embarrass her by stalling" almost immediately
Thanx so much! i adjusted the idle and now im taking off from a stop like a champ! ya when i looked at the rpms i was at about 900 and i watched it while i tried starting from a stop and did exactly what u said. i also tried adjusting the clutch lever like someone suggested and that is easier now too im gonna be riding around in no time now thanx again!

Old 07-27-2010, 03:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't be afraid to give it some gas from a stop.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:32 PM

Thanx so much! i adjusted the idle and now im taking off from a stop like a champ! ya when i looked at the rpms i was at about 900 and i watched it while i tried starting from a stop and did exactly what u said. i also tried adjusting the clutch lever like someone suggested and that is easier now too im gonna be riding around in no time now thanx again!
No worries