Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Where's the balance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Where's the balance?

Discussion on another forum about track suits. A guy was planning to hit the track maybe 4 times this year and wanted to know whether to get a 1 piece or 2 piece.

The situation is similar to mine: currently interested in doing some track days to improve my riding and not to compete. For me, I'm going with some leather pants that'll attach to my jacket. The expense of a full track suit doesn't phase me. I just can't see spending $1k+ for something I'd use so little with my current intentions. My thoughts are a 2 piece would be within the 'safe zone of the ride I intended. And i got called on it.

At my level, the only limits I'd be pushing are my own mental ones: improving line selection, cornering, trail braking and conquering SRs. If I see triple digits, they'd be on straights. So to me, I feel I'd be unlikely to push past the protective limits of a good jacket - pants system. But others were promoting going all out.

So where's the balance? One guy brought up the old adage "dress for the crash, not the ride". But we do have some control over the potential crash don't we? We'll set the speed with the throttle after all. Can't have a 150 MPH low side if you never twist the wrist that much, true?

Old 04-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Nov 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You just have to use your common sense. I would never ride in the track in anything but a 1 piece and the full shibang and I would never ride in the street the same way as I would ride on the track.

Just like in my race car days I'd never take a lap without fire gear, gloves, shoes and a full 5 point minimum. Obvioulsy I'm not gearing up like that when I take out the civic.

Sorry but too many "sportriders" are just plain idiots.

Dress accordingly.