Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Snell M2010 Rated helmets

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Snell M2010 Rated helmets

Here's the brief on the upcoming Snell ratings for helmets, which should be just in time for my new helmet purchase:

M2010 Introduction
* Certification Testing starts............................ March 1, 2008
* M2010 Labels Available............................... July 1, 2009
* First M2010 Helmets Available for Sale....... October 1, 2009

M2005 Termination
* Certification Testing ends.............................. June 30, 2011
* M2005 Labels last available.......................... June 30, 2011
* M2005 Production ends................................March 31, 2012

Important Differences
* Significant changes to impact testing - see full article
* Labeling - helmets must be marked with the largest and smallest appropriate head circumferences in centimeters.
This is important
* Numbers of Samples - depending on the helmet’s intended size range; seven samples may be required for certification testing.
* Model lines meeting M2010 might also be able to meet ECE 22-05 requirements (Yipeee) and qualify for distribution and sale in Europe.

The full article is available here: http://www.smf.org/standards/m/2010/...10-10-2007.htm

All this boils down to us getting a safer helmet here in the U.S.
Thank me later.
Peace.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at the Snell article, and from what I can tell they haven't removed their two strike, same spot test. This is the test that has generated a fair amount of controversy in the past, as outlined in an article in Motorcyclist a few years back. Jaybird, I think we've discussed this before. Anyhow, after reading the available studies on bike accidents, Motorcyclist concluded that the two stike test replicated a situation that virtually never occurs in the real world, and that the consequence of offering protection in an accident that you'll likely never have, is that Snell helmets actually offer less protection than non Snell rated helmets in most other situations. This is also the reason that Snell rated helmets can't currently pass either Euro or British testing. The Brits seem to agree with Motorcyclist- as the British Govt. agency that rates the various
lids sold there stated in a Faq- "Why are you only striking the helmet once in each impact site when some standards strike the same site twice?
We do not have any evidence to suggest that in a motorcycle accident helmets suffer repeated impacts on the same site. We do see that helmets can receive multiple impacts and that is why the SHARP assessment does involve more than one impact on helmet but at a different point." http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/faqs/ Now Snell tells us that their certified helmets MIGHT be able to pass Euro testing- how much of an improvement is that? "Might" also means "might not", and aren't you a little concerned that the Europeans think that your very expensive Snell rated lid is not safe enough to be sold on the continent? We shall see.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:21 PM

I'm gonna go with "might not." I've always thought Snell cares less about my head and more how Snell itself is perceived in the market. For some reason, I'm reminded of 13th century Crusaders...they wanted their intentions to appear honorable, but in reality...it was more about establishing an illusion of authority. I could be wrong...

Old 04-22-2009, 01:32 PM

I went to a local "new rider seminar" 2 weeks ago just to listen in on what was being discussed. They had a series of clinics run by the dealership's sales staff at a well known and large dealership. It was a well run event but I had an issue with the helmet lecture.

New riders are being told that DOT is minimum required by law, but SNELL is better. I disagree with that logic, but that's the industry right now and I think we should help SNELL make a better, safer standard OR come out with a better standard that the Government can endorse, thusly making SNELL obsolete.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:35 AM
MZ5

Thought I'd dredge this old thread up to see how everyone feels about the topic now. All of the fear that Motorcyclist and others tried to raise against Snell, and talk of how M2010-certified helmets "might not" meet the ECE standard, seems to have died away. M2010-certified helmets appear to be easily ECE-certified, just as Snell said they would be.

Are some of you still buying DOT-only helmets (or ECE-only, depending upon market), under the belief that they're 'safer' than Snell-certified helmets?

Old 03-18-2011, 06:23 PM

I'll get a new lid....someday. My current is still good and actually made the Snell 2010 list.