Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Quiet snell-rated helmets

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 03:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quiet snell-rated helmets

Ok guys I've searched and can't find answers to my question. I'm in the market for a snell rated helmet built for long distance comfort. It needs to be quiet and light and resist uplift. There's gotta be helmets out there that fit this criteria but I don't trust manufacturers websites coz they all say their helmets are the best (of course they do).

Not interested in best graphics or best looking or most fashionable or worn by (insert moto gp rider here), just need a great performing helmet with a snell rating that won't strangle me at high speed and give me a smooth quiet ride even in turbulence.

Look forward to your suggestions and experiences. Thanks.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:06 PM

Well I don't have an easy answer for you. I have arai, scorpion, icon, and hjc helmets. The arai is to me the most comfortable with very little wind buffeting but there is plenty of wind noise. The icon I find pretty much uncomfortable all around and I barely use it. The scorpion is very comfortable ( i have an exo 400 & 1100 ) and cuts outside noise significantly. The hjc is about the same as icon but fits more comfortably. Bear in mind these are all my personal opinions about a few select helmets. Good luck with your search.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Moved to *Riding Gear*.

Old 11-21-2012, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the input fob. I realise this is probably a subjective topic due to different head shapes etc. I have been looking closely at the arai's on the net and will be out trying different helmets in person soon.

Old 11-21-2012, 07:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't like the Arais mainly because I have a bulbous head shape. Check out this site:
Motorcycle Helmet Reviews - webBikeWorld

They have a pretty good rating system for everything. They do their best to describe the head shape the helmets conform to best and give good examples of wind noise. You should realize they make their judgments on wind noise with ear plugs in, so it'll probably be different if you don't use them. Besides my last helmet, I've made my purchases based on their reviews. Besides the Bell helmet I bought, I found they were pretty spot on.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:09 PM

i like my icon alliance helmet. pretty comfortable and it doesnt really seem too loud inside the helmet. given its my first and only helmet, it works for me and doesnt bother me at all while riding hours on end.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by raylee
I don't like the Arais mainly because I have a bulbous head shape. Check out this site:
Motorcycle Helmet Reviews - webBikeWorld

They have a pretty good rating system for everything. They do their best to describe the head shape the helmets conform to best and give good examples of wind noise. You should realize they make their judgments on wind noise with ear plugs in, so it'll probably be different if you don't use them. Besides my last helmet, I've made my purchases based on their reviews. Besides the Bell helmet I bought, I found they were pretty spot on.
Thanks raylee I'll check that site out. I wear earplugs but hoping to find something super quiet. May not be achievable 100% though. Cheers.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by McBreezyF4i
i like my icon alliance helmet. pretty comfortable and it doesnt really seem too loud inside the helmet. given its my first and only helmet, it works for me and doesnt bother me at all while riding hours on end.
Thanks mcbreezy. The more reports of satisfied customers the better. I suppose what I need to do first is find the best fit for me then consider my options from there. Have always worn agv but this time I'm looking at others.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:03 PM

My Shoei QWEST is really comfortable and never gets pushed by the wind. Only downside is it can be loud, some earplugs fix that though...try a Shoei that has good ratings online, I knew mine would be a bit loud because of some of the reviews...I've heard good things about the RF-1100s.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by That Guy in Maine
My Shoei QWEST is really comfortable and never gets pushed by the wind. Only downside is it can be loud, some earplugs fix that though...try a Shoei that has good ratings online, I knew mine would be a bit loud because of some of the reviews...I've heard good things about the RF-1100s.
G'day G.I.M. Yeah I've been reading good things about them too. Will be one that I look at for sure. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Quiet snell-rated helmets