Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Quick funny story - Gear Questions for Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick funny story - Gear Questions for Newbie

Well, I just got my bike this last weekend and I spent last night checking air pressure and putting some gas in the tank with the trusty red plastic gas can. Needless to say, I pulled a newbie mistake and the white extender from the gas can fell inside the tank (Ahhhh Sh#t). I spent the better part of the night trying to fish it out. My wife comes out to the garage and fishes it out no problem. Thank goodness for women.

Anyway, I'm new like I said and I have a helmet but I'm looking at getting 1) gloves and 2) jacket. I live in Houston so I don't need cold weather gloves nor do I need racing gloves. I've been reading reviews but what do you guys think about either a) Cortech HDX or b)Icon Twenty-Niner? Any other suggestions appreciated...

Also, I'm considering a leather jacket but not sure if perforated is a "must" in warmer weather climates or just a good leather jacket will suffice. I don't want to be miserable in Houston heat with a non-perforated jacket.

Long story short, what do you think on my choice of gloves and should I get perforated or non??? Thanks guys...

Old 04-06-2011, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

For Houston, I'd say perforation is required. Opinions on the protection textiles offer vary, but personally I spend the majority of time in textile vs. leather.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:44 PM

As far as the jacket goes, I don't have any experience with leathers, but in my opinion, I would suggest perforated.

As far as gloves go, I have been through several different kinds until I found the ones I liked. I have the Scorpion EXO Venom leather and mesh, I like them so far. Tried a Joe Rocket pair, Alpinestars, (loved them, but they were used when I bought my jacket, so they ripped), and the 29'ers. I liked the Icon 29'ers, but there isn't a whole lot of padding in the palm, so I found them to be slightly uncomfortable in that respect. But, with that said, they are OK for the price.

Now, welcome to the forum by the way!!!

Being the nice guy that I am, and since you are new to the forum and riding, I will make you a deal.......

What size gloves do you wear, first off? Secondly, I have a pair of black size large Icon 29'ers, if you are interested, pm me and I would be willing to part with them. They are mostly new, worn maybe 4 or 5 times last season. PM me you address and this Saturday morning I will put them in the mail for you. Free of charge, only thing I ask is, if you don't like them, send em back to me. If you do like them, enjoy the gloves and riding.

If you are interested, let me know.

Jim

Old 04-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nepa_jim

Being the nice guy that I am, and since you are new to the forum and riding, I will make you a deal.......

What size gloves do you wear, first off? Secondly, I have a pair of black size large Icon 29'ers, if you are interested, pm me and I would be willing to part with them. They are mostly new, worn maybe 4 or 5 times last season. PM me you address and this Saturday morning I will put them in the mail for you. Free of charge, only thing I ask is, if you don't like them, send em back to me. If you do like them, enjoy the gloves and riding.

Jim

Stand up guy right there.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by nepa_jim
As far as the jacket goes, I don't have any experience with leathers, but in my opinion, I would suggest perforated.

As far as gloves go, I have been through several different kinds until I found the ones I liked. I have the Scorpion EXO Venom leather and mesh, I like them so far. Tried a Joe Rocket pair, Alpinestars, (loved them, but they were used when I bought my jacket, so they ripped), and the 29'ers. I liked the Icon 29'ers, but there isn't a whole lot of padding in the palm, so I found them to be slightly uncomfortable in that respect. But, with that said, they are OK for the price.

If you are interested, let me know.

Jim
Jim,

Wow, thanks! That's awesome that you would do that for a newbie. Yes I wear size Large and would love to check them out from your library. I will send you my address through PM.... I truly appreciate your thoughtfullness.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:03 PM

A quick update to my jacket question. I think I may look into the Joe Rocket Sonic leather but for now (since I'm in Houston) I just picked the Fieldsheer Congo Air Mesh in white from a local C-list ad. It's supposed to be in mint condition. What do you guys think?

Name:  Jacket.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  34.7 KB

Old 04-06-2011, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by RaiderAlumn
Jim,

Wow, thanks! That's awesome that you would do that for a newbie. Yes I wear size Large and would love to check them out from your library. I will send you my address through PM.... I truly appreciate your thoughtfullness.

Hey, no problem bro. They are pretty much brand new, but I got new ones that are red and black like my helmet, so these are just sitting around, and I would rather have them put to use, then sit in my closet.

Consider it, a pay it forward kind of thing. My gift to you, and someday, you can help someone else out.

Like I said, I will put them in the mail Saturday morning.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjones

Stand up guy right there.

Thanks, like I told raider, I am the type of guy who believes in paying it forward. If I can help someone out, I will, and them that way, if they eventually can help someone out, it's thanks enough for me.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a fieldsheer congo jacket and it's pretty nice! One of the inner lining zippers is cheap and you have to zip it a certain way, but since you're getting the congo air mesh, you probably don't have that inner liner so you have nothing to worry about!