Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Icon SuperDuty 4 boots

Old 04-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Icon SuperDuty 4 boots

Hey guys, and gals, I just picked up a pair in wheat color, just got them today. Just wanted some opinions on them from anyone that wears them? I don't have my bike, wheel getting powder coated, just wondering about thoughts you may have on them.

Wearing mine now, to get them broken in. Feel good so far, but how do they hold up, and how are they with riding? How are they with slippery surfaces, oil/gravel/sand?

I am trying to get my gear together. Got a Scorpion EXO 400 helmet, Scorpion EXO Venom gloves and a Joe Rocket ballistic jacket, (hope to get a leather this spring/summer, but the JR jacket will do for now). And hopefully a nice pair of riding pants this spring/summer also. And with that said, anyone have the Icon SuperDuty 2 pants? Thinking about a camo pair.

Thanks for any input!!

Old 04-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been wearing them since the Super Duty 2. Still wear the old pair quite frequently (just not to ride) as they are my most comfy pair of shoes. I'm riding with the 3's right now, and obviously I like them just fine. Haven't tried the 4 yet, but they look much like the 3 -- except the ankle looks a bit shorter again, and the there's no rubber where the shifter goes. So in a way, they look more like the 2 again...

To more directly address your questions: they hold up well; the old pair are about 6 years old at this point and I wear them probably 1 out of 2 days still. As far as grip, they do nicely; the pattern is not super deep, so they're not really industrial in that sense, but they do a good job. Obviously I'm a fan of the shoe. I have really wide feet, so finding comfortable shoes is sometimes tricky; if you have narrow feet, your experience may be different than mine.

I Also have an EXO-400 (although it's not my primary lid) and I'm planning on getting the new 500 shortly.

Last edited by regener8ed; 04-02-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:57 PM

great boots, great for a daily option.

should have gone with the darker brown color.

good luck keeping them clean....

Old 04-02-2011, 08:32 PM

Thanks for the replies from the both of you. I wore them around for a few hours today to see how comfortable they are, pretty good so far. Just walking around and stuff. I had regular work boots that I wore before, and after a while they just started to get real uncomfortable. These seem like they will do just fine.

I have somewhat wide feet also, and these accommodate pretty well.

As far as going with the darker option, it was more a personal choice as to what color. I just don't like the look of the brown ones. I know they will be hard to keep clean, my old work boots I wore were a b*tch to keep clean, lol. The insides of my ankles were worn out and dirty from my ankles rubbing the frame just about the rearsets. Plus, I am not going for a fashion show, so cleanliness isn't a major factor. hahahaha.

Hey, Regen, I had a fulmer D4 Apache red helmet prior, and the EXO 400 was just a luck bid on ebay. Threw a $20 bid up and won. It's nice, red and black. Will most likely be my primary helmet. Didn't care for the Fulmer all that much. Plus finding parts was really hard for that one around here, no one local carries anything fulmer. I figure the Scorpion will be an easier helmet to find parts for. Plus it has a dark smoke screen, so no need to wear sunglasses under. Which was rather uncomfortable for me.

But, again, thanks for the input!! 'Preciate it!!

Old 04-02-2011, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nepa_jim
Plus it has a dark smoke screen, so no need to wear sunglasses under. Which was rather uncomfortable for me.
have you seen the speedview sun visor on the EXO-500?

Old 04-02-2011, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by regener8ed
have you seen the speedview sun visor on the EXO-500?

Not on the EXO, but I have seen it on the Icon. I like that idea, eventually, I want to get a helmet with one. Is that what you are getting on you EXO?

Old 04-02-2011, 10:26 PM

Is that an aftermarket kit? Or is it something that has to come from the factory? If it's a kit, I want one for my helmet!!!

Old 04-12-2011, 09:04 AM

I have either the original Super Duty boots or the 2nd generation. I've never been down in them, but they have been my primary riding boots for nearly 4 years now. As far as general wear and tear, they are still nearly perfect, just sun faded and dirty, but no seams have come undone and they don't show any excessive wear from use. My set definitely doesn't have oil resistant soles, I don't know if they have upgraded since then.

I also have a couple of Icon's re-enforced jeans from a few years back. Again, I haven't tested the asphalt resistance of the pants, but for a few years of use and many washes they are still in amazing condition. The only dowside is that they only have aramid panels on the knees and not on the butt like some other brands do. It doesn't appear as though they've added that to any of the updated versions.

Overall, the boots and pants are definitely a good comfortable alternative to regular jeans and boots/shoes. I have since picked up a set of armored Joe Rocket over-pants to use on days set aside for just riding and not running errands or going out.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:56 PM

Thanks for the info Mike. I have been out on the bike twice since I got my boots. They are pretty comfortable so far. Just getting slightly dirty on the inside of the ankles from rubbing on my heel guards. I ride with the ***** of my feet on the foot pegs and not the arch of my foot. So the inside of my ankles rub the heel guards a lot.

They are not that heavy, so my feet have been cool, heat wise, and having somewhat wide feet, they are very roomy. They also did OK on the slick surface of the road at one point.

I really need to get a pair of riding pants, was thinking about the camo Icon super duty pants. Hopefully the tax return comes fast.