Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Leather / Textile / Mesh / Denim - maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 04:50 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Leather / Textile / Mesh / Denim - maintenance

When you purchase a printer, printer does not cost much? But Damn...inks cost like crazy. I've purchased a LA Lakers jacket once for $60 new...took it to a dry clean, they wanted $35 buck to clean. I've never believed in high cost maintenance chit! It does not make too much sense. My question is, if leather is most costly maintain? How do you keep clean? I've seen a lot of good deals for motorcycle leather pants but my concern is cost of maintenance? Is there a way to maintain your leather pant/jacket at lower cost? Thing is I can buy a pair of denim, machine washable...DONE! No need dry clean and chit. How about textile? Are they easy machine washable too?? My question is, any advice on "how to" maintain your gears clean? I know denim & mesh is machine washable. How about leather & textile?

Old 08-08-2011, 04:56 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

About the Leather Lakers jacket I purchase for $60. Tags says dry clean only....took it to dry clean shop and they wanted $30-$45 to clean. $30 is the cheapest place I found. So 2 dry clean service I can buy a new jacket. Does it make sense at all to go leather in gears??? Any comment how to keep cost low if I want to go Leather for gears?

Old 08-08-2011, 09:53 PM
MZ5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My leather riding jacket says to NOT dry clean it. Don't know why for sure, but I speculate it's related to the armor in it or something.

It would be easier to maintain leather gear if it had removable linings. Then, you could take out the lining and wash it. The leather itself is pretty easy to maintain, IMO. A little Lexol from time to time will keep the leather in excellent condition. Frankly, GOOD leather is something you should be able to hose off, let it dry, condition it, and be done. Not that expensive, but somewhat time-consuming compared to loading a washing machine and walking away.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MZ5
A little Lexol from time to time will keep the leather in excellent condition.
I recently picked up bottles of both Lexol leather cleaner and conditioner for under $20(total) at my local Autozone. Should be enough for a few cleanings and conditionings. I'd consider that to be pretty low cost maintenance.