Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Mesh Jackets?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mesh Jackets?

Obviously the benefits are they are cheaper and cooler then textile or leather, but how do they hold up in a crash?

Old 08-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not as good as the other two, but definitely a good level of protection. It a descent slide it will be rendered unusable, it will prolly be damaged too much too use again. But they still have ce armor. Good mesh will have the impact areas reinforced with solid textile. Better than rocking no jacket.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:40 AM

Yeah, I figured as much. Not as good as the other two, but way better then nothing. I just picked up a joe rocket honda mesh off ebay for a steal and was wondering.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never slid in my Teknic mesh jacket, but I did take quite a tumble at a decent speed. I took a fall in a non-riding leather jacket previous to that at a much slow speed. I was going around 15-20 mph with the leather jacket on and 45+ in the mesh jacket. Wearing the leather jacket my shoulder separated and my leg/foot was sprained to all hell, no broken bones but I lost use of the left side of my body for a couple weeks. Wearing the mesh jacket with proper CE padding in the shoulders I walked away with a scrape on my knee (I was wearing my draggin jeans and got some "kevlar burn"). However, I tumbled a few yards with the mesh jacket instead of sliding. So yeah, I'd say they work fairly well.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:32 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If in an accident, the last thing i worry about is, if my jacket is reusable? As long as we can walk away is most important...we can always buy new jacket. Mesh + Armour...should do the job....some of us just cannot wear leather or textile...HOT!!!
Especially if people have hyper active sweat glad....I can look at a person eating chili, I'll be sweating....LOL....

Originally Posted by pittsm
Yeah, I figured as much. Not as good as the other two, but way better then nothing. I just picked up a joe rocket honda mesh off ebay for a steal and was wondering.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:38 AM

I have a textile jacket, and even with all the airflow pockets open, liner out, it still gets really hot. I just feel more protected wearing it compared to my mesh one

Old 08-08-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by estate4life
If in an accident, the last thing i worry about is, if my jacket is reusable? As long as we can walk away is most important...we can always buy new jacket. .
yeah, i think you misinterpreted what I was asking. I don't care about how the jacket holds up as far as replacing it. I figured if I wreck in it, its pretty much trashed. I was just wondering if it'd hold up long enough to get through the wreck. lol

Old 08-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The biggest thing about mesh jackets is the possibility of the material melting during a crash. How commonly that occurs is unknown and prolly related to the quality of the materials used. But it does happen and if it melts into the skin, it's as bad or worse than road rash.

Honestly, the differences in cooling is prolly minimal. My leather jacket is perforated with a air scoop-like hump on the back. I've worn in in 104 temps here in Philly and only felt it when stopped at lights. That's where you'll feel the heat the most. And regardless of the material of your jacket, you're still going to feel like you're an idiot wearing a jacket on a hot summer day

Old 08-10-2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
The biggest thing about mesh jackets is the possibility of the material melting during a crash. How commonly that occurs is unknown and prolly related to the quality of the materials used. But it does happen and if it melts into the skin, it's as bad or worse than road rash.

Honestly, the differences in cooling is prolly minimal. My leather jacket is perforated with a air scoop-like hump on the back. I've worn in in 104 temps here in Philly and only felt it when stopped at lights. That's where you'll feel the heat the most. And regardless of the material of your jacket, you're still going to feel like you're an idiot wearing a jacket on a hot summer day

I recently picked up a perforated leather jacket and at speed, it vents exactly the same as my mesh jacket. At a stop, I may start sweating in 10 seconds rather than 15.

Mesh is definitely better than nothing, but if you ever make the upgrade to perforated leather, I don't think you'll look back.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:00 PM

At my last job this guy dropped 10 grand for a 2010 Shadow and told me the reason he was rocking out a textile and not a leather is because they cost too much lol

Quick Reply: Mesh Jackets?