Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

mesh or textile?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mesh or textile?

i am looking at getting a jacket and some gloves as i dont have anything but a helmet. I found some jackets i like from joe rocket but i have no idea what textile is. is it better or worse then mesh? i only ride in the summer/fall so i need something that is able to keep me warm for when it is cool out(45F or so is as cold as what i will ride in). not in rain or snow. most the time i ride it im going on average 45-50MPH but i do go on some roads that are 55 but you have to go 60 or else you will **** off other drivers. will i be alright in either textile/mesh? also are thse good gloves? has anoyone used ones like it? my hands froze tonight rideing home as it was 45F degrees but i want something that is flexable for everyday use
http://www.joerocket.com/products/pr...oducts_id=1028

here are the jackets i am looking at
http://www.joerocket.com/products/pr...oducts_id=1138
http://www.joerocket.com/products/pr...roducts_id=774

Old 09-16-2007, 12:34 AM
Default RE: mesh or textile?

I have the Honda Mesh jacket. it has been very comfortable and ventilates very well while offering good protection for average speeds.its great if you live where in hotter states when you need to stay cool most of the time and where it doesn't snow. It alsohas the additionalinside lining for colder weather. Textile is like a cloth material that is a bit more durable than mesh. personally i think you'll be ok with mesh or textile, but if I were you i'd invest in some nice leathers. you can get them pretty cheap online or ebay.

Old 09-16-2007, 02:28 PM

You will end up eventually wanting one of each. I would start out with a mesh because you can add/remove the liner to help when it's cooler/hotter, but you really need both a mesh and a textile IMO.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:11 PM

ORIGINAL: black_98civic

i am looking at getting a jacket and some gloves as i dont have anything but a helmet. I found some jackets i like from joe rocket but i have no idea what textile is. is it better or worse then mesh? i only ride in the summer/fall so i need something that is able to keep me warm for when it is cool out(45F or so is as cold as what i will ride in). not in rain or snow. most the time i ride it im going on average 45-50MPH but i do go on some roads that are 55 but you have to go 60 or else you will **** off other drivers. will i be alright in either textile/mesh? also are thse good gloves? has anoyone used ones like it? my hands froze tonight rideing home as it was 45F degrees but i want something that is flexable for everyday use

Get a mesh jacket that has removable, zippered in layers.

Take layers out in warm weather...zip them back in in the winter.

Despite what all the racer be wannabe's say...

If all you do is casual riding...you don't need a set of $2,000, CE armored, Dianese one piece 1.6mm leather racing gear to ride to the store for a pack of gum.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:27 PM

Yeah, but a slide along asphalt from 55mph to zero will burn through mesh and textile. You don't need a leather suit, but a leather jacket just saved my buddy from some serious rash and injuries to his upper body. Those gloves look alright, but I would look into some with plastic knuckle guards as opposed to that padding because your knuckles will drag/hit in an accident and I'm willing to bet that that padding will be gone quick. Do what works for your budget because anything you buy will be better than nothing at all. You have some boots and jeans to wear?

MAKE SURE you can try the stuff on before buying. Gear is only good if it fits.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bmg velocity

Get a mesh jacket that has removable, zippered in layers.

Take layers out in warm weather...zip them back in in the winter.

Despite what all the racer be wannabe's say...

If all you do is casual riding...you don't need a set of $2,000, CE armored, Dianese one piece 1.6mm leather racing gear to ride to the store for a pack of gum.
you have never been down have you??

You can not beat leather period. Not you dont have to have 1pc race leathers. But I highly recommend a leather jacket over the others. It will not only save your @ss it will be able to be worn another day. mesh n textile are trash after they go down. Reseach it if you dont believee me or others. A good pair of gloves and a decent riding boot. Work boots are better than a pair of squidly tennis shoes, but wont protect your ankle like a boot made for riding. On pants, now this is where I say it depends on your riding. If you dont hit the twisties or act a fool running 160mph down the road, you can get by with the so-called riding jeans. Although the ones I seen that had been down were torn to crap afterwards and the rider still got rashed.

And as for as the to the store for gum comment. Thats when most crashes happen. When you think your in your safe zone (doesnt exsist) On a motorcycle one can be that next headline/statistic, and thinking ahh gear is a bunch of BS will only get you there quickier. Jeans last 8' on aspault if that.

But Its your skin. Dont have to spend $2k on gear, but whats your skin and body worth to you???

peace!!

Old 09-16-2007, 06:52 PM

ya im going thursday to try on some stuff at a shop. right now all i wear because i have nothing else is helmet, sweatshirt, jeans and some skateboarding shoes lol. i try and keep the rideing down to a minimal due to that fact

Old 09-16-2007, 07:01 PM

ya im going thursday to try on some stuff at a shop. right now all i wear because i have nothing else is helmet, sweatshirt, jeans and some skateboarding shoes lol. i try and keep the rideing down to a minimal due to that fact
Thats smart lol. Always ride like everything is out to get ya. I dont mean dont have fum, cuz thats why we ride for at it. but dont trust nothing around you. Just cause you see them looking at you dont assume they see you. Only cagers that think of bikers are the ones that ride, and dont trust those when they in a cage lol.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:04 PM

You are making a good decision. If you can't afford riding boots, get some over the ankle boots. Maybe you have some friends who have a pair that they don't use? That's how I got my ankle/foot protection for free.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:23 PM

textile is probably the better of the 2. if you were in cali i would say go with the mesh. i personally got 1 of each and also leathers. but i wear which ever depending on my ride for that day. but any of them is way better than justa sweatshirt. ride safe.

Quick Reply: mesh or textile?