Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Help deciding on a helmet

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 09:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help deciding on a helmet

Greetings everyone... this is my first venture outside of the CBR1000F forum so please be nice! :-D

I've just recently got back onto 2 wheels after taking a 3 year break from riding. About 5 months prior to my old bike going off the road, I brought a cheapie helmet (CMS Xtrem). My head measures 58cm so I got a 58-59 size helmet... it was tight at the time but was told the padding would wear in to the shape of my head... well 6 months of use later (granted a 3 year gap in the time) it hasn't shaped up any better and I still get headaches from a tight fitting helmet and what's worse is that my chin still pushes up against the inside chin guard... which would be disastrous if I hit something face first.

So I've decided (well got misses approval) to buy a new helmet, but I have a pretty tight budget and don't want to go over $300AUD, I would also like to try and get a tinted visor in that price as I ride into the sunrise and sunset most weekdays, and cause I wear glasses, I can't just put on sunglasses! I also live right out in the sticks (country - 300km from nearest city) so I don't have the luxury of being able to go shop around look at each helmet in person. We do have a bike shop in a neighbouring town but their offering is very limited. So looks like I'm going to have to order something off of the internet. I've looked around and summed up my options to the following:

M2R - MR10 $275 or MR11 $349 (inc. tinted visor)
From local bike shop. The MR10 is pretty flimsy and the MR11 has a ugly matt finish and just as cheap feel.

Nitro Racing - N610V $275 Delivered inc. tinted visor
Can't find any reviews, looks like a reasonable helmet from the photos, with good features.

HJC - CL-14 $290 Del. Inc. tinted visor
One review I read left it wanting.

KBC - Force RR - $299 Del Inv. visor
Seems like a reasonable helmet.

MDS - ProVent - $260 Del. Exclud. Visor
Heavy from what I've read.

AGV - GP-1 - $225 Del. Inc. Visor
Basic helmet. Don't think much of the shape... but it's an AGV.

I know my budget isn't all that much, and I know the sayings; you get what you pay for. But if anyone can give me any feedback on any of the above helmets it would be greatly appreciated, specially seeing I can't just go pick one up and take a look for myself.

Cheers
Carl

Old 02-14-2007, 03:44 AM
Default RE: Help deciding on a helmet

I have a CL-15 by HJC and that's an ok helmet. I would check out ebay for prices on helments. Usually, I shop there and you get a big difference from outside prices.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:14 AM

i would say to go for a scorpion helmet i have one and love it, they are great helmets and still around that price range that ur looking at here is a review on the helmet i have

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...lmet/scorpion/

Old 02-15-2007, 03:20 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys... I have also come across and Australian brand helmet in price range - RJays GP-1 Fugitive. Seems like a reasonable helmet from the few write-ups I can find.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should also determine the shape of your head before purchasing a helmet...some helmets fit round heads while others fit oval. so looking from say the second floor down on your head...if it's like this () or 0 , up being front or back...then you have a oval shaped head...more likely arai ($$$) or O more like shoei, etc.

check out OGK...they are cheap, light and decent...they are like 200 bucks....
http://www.ogk-helmet.com

Old 02-15-2007, 10:38 PM

I have a KBC force RR helmet and love it.