need help deciding on brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question need help deciding on brakes?

I want to know the best or good comments on brake rotors and pads. I want to do my Brake system such as Rotors, Pads, Lines, levers and calipers. I figure i'll ask around first b4 i decide to go buy everything and install (which im doing myself) Thanks

lately i been really careless with my bike, so now im trying to amend by getting upgrades but i don't know which is more appropriate. i fallen a couple of times in the last couple of weeks nothing major just alot of gravel where my city decided to re-do all the streets and ice on the street along with water and all that, well i live in west of texas and the climate is dry which pads would serve best. Also since Im the one who does all the mechanical work on my bike and which im learining from the book, i feel like i missed/need some cleanin like the air filer(k&n), adjust cables (brakes, cluth, throttle ) any other comments or suggestion on what i need to do or check, all comment will be appreciated I was thinking of go and dropping the bike at my local motorcycle shop and i want a list of things i want them to check out...

Old 01-31-2011, 03:44 PM

Hi Txridder, unless you are in the fastest 10% of riders at your local racetrack, your stock brake setup should be fine.

If you are having trouble with brake feel, look at maintenance.
For rotors: they should be true and free of groves.
Pads: they should be within spec for thickness.
Calipers: should be moving freely. You can determine this by examining the brake pads and rotors--unevenness on each pad or more wear on one than the other can indicate the caliper piston(s) is not able to move freely.
Lines: make sure fluid is as close to transparent as possible. It's usually yellowish, but if it is closer to brown/black than yellow, replace it. Make sure the banjo bolts' copper crush washers are new and not leaking. Obviously make sure the lines are not leaking.

I guess there are many things to consider when maintaining the brake system. If you do not have a quality service manual, get one and read every word. Any good service manual should give you almost all the information you need to know about maintaining the brakes.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:54 PM
October 2011 ROTM

What kind of riding do you do? If it's just street riding then I agree with aerialspider and go stock. OEM brakes work very well and is going to cost less than going with Galfer and SS lines.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:41 PM

thanks for the responses guys
Aerielspider: reason i want to replace the rotors is because mine already has grooves that i can feel with my finger bad, a friend suggested that use sand paper to try and help this out but it didnt do much, So i am gonna have to replace it, and thought if i was gonna buy one i should just go with aftermarket for better quality, so then i thought if i replace one part with aftermarket i need to get everything else with it.
R Dub: i dont ride hard but do ride every day, even on snow like today so i want to have that extra edge or the best part for performance or quality cause i rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it

but thanks for the .2 cents

Old 02-01-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by txridder
thanks for the responses guys
Aerielspider: reason i want to replace the rotors is because mine already has grooves that i can feel with my finger bad, a friend suggested that use sand paper to try and help this out but it didnt do much, So i am gonna have to replace it, and thought if i was gonna buy one i should just go with aftermarket for better quality, so then i thought if i replace one part with aftermarket i need to get everything else with it.
R Dub: i dont ride hard but do ride every day, even on snow like today so i want to have that extra edge or the best part for performance or quality cause i rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it

but thanks for the .2 cents
Your OEM rotors can be resurfaced, you don't need to throw away your hard earned cash yet. as far as brakes go, IMO the order of upgrades should go as this;

-pads
-lines
-MC
-calipers
-rotors

Your OEM rotors are exceptional. Might as well get the most use out of them before you pull them off.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:59 AM

I previously thought motorcycle rotors cannot be resurfaced, but a little web searching revealed that some people do it. It sounds like the rotors need to be either fixed or full-floating. The 600rr rotors are semi-floating, so I think you are out of luck on resurfacing.
Not to mention that resurfacing your rotors would probably bring them thinner than the minimum thickness spec.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:26 PM

Today i went to my local shop to see how much it would be to do resurfacing on the back rotors and they said they dont recommend it but if i wanted done it would cost like 200 because they charge 75 an hr so thats where my $$$ goes. Any idea on what websites sell the back rotor for a 04 600rr?

Old 02-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

replace it with a stocker

Old 02-05-2011, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by aerialspider
I previously thought motorcycle rotors cannot be resurfaced, but a little web searching revealed that some people do it. It sounds like the rotors need to be either fixed or full-floating. The 600rr rotors are semi-floating, so I think you are out of luck on resurfacing.
Not to mention that resurfacing your rotors would probably bring them thinner than the minimum thickness spec.
Rotor buttons can be replaced, hell you can go to full floating if you wished.

http://www.tpoparts.com/catalog/prod...products_id=98

Only difference in full and semi is the washer/spacer used in the buttons. Which can also be replaced. A machine shop would shave the rotor down in .001 of an inch increments so you wouldn't lose to much of the disc. We have one at my work and I redid my rear rotor. I barely shaved anything off it.
Originally Posted by txridder
Today i went to my local shop to see how much it would be to do resurfacing on the back rotors and they said they dont recommend it but if i wanted done it would cost like 200 because they charge 75 an hr so thats where my $$$ goes. Any idea on what websites sell the back rotor for a 04 600rr?
That's BS. They are just too lazy to do it. Check out this vendor on WERA boards. He'll lighten the rotor and resurface it for way less than what that shop was telling you.

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=181179