Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

eBay helmets

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Bro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well must not have been your time to go

Old 08-10-2013, 10:57 PM
Old 08-10-2013, 11:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 140 MPH Get-Off & Taking Out a Signpost With His Head!

Your choice in helmet can make it your time to go... when it didn't need to be

Old 08-11-2013, 01:00 AM

I laid down my bike with a Bell helmet and didnt feel a thing. I happily paid the money for a new one after that. A well made, fitting helmet makes all the difference if you do lay your bike down and land head first...

Old 08-11-2013, 03:12 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Over the years I've had all kinds, from the early Mason helmet which felt like a brick, to the Shoei, Arai HJC and latest cheapie edition Masei from e-Bay at $40.

The problem is, you don't know what the helmet will do UNTIL YOU NEED IT.

I'd love to see anyone who claimed from a manufacturer for an inferior helmet win the court case (especially if the rider is deceased)
There are too many variables to consider and while ANY helmet is better than none, it's really a lottery - you'll only know if you won if you don't die.

Yes, Arai and Shoei Bell and some others have the "name" to go with the price tag, but they also do all the research and development to make their products as safe as they can make them - THAT'S what costs the money.

I'd speak to guys and girls who have EXPERIENCE with having a crash with a particular helmet - at the end of the day they have the answers - the rest is just conjecture...............I've seen a Vemar helmet which crushed, broke the wearer's nose etc when he had a pheasant fly up in front of him at 100MPH. He stayed on amazingly but the helmet was wrecked. Another one had a similar incident hitting a similar bird with an Arai - SAME RESULT- crushed helmet and a very bruised face. So price isn't everything.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

True Shadow. But there are additional bonuses to buying a quality helmet that indirectly affect rider safety and health. Comfort being huge. An uncomfortable rider is a distracted one. And a large part of the r&d the bigger manufacturers invest go towards comfort. Maximizing air flow to keep the rider cooler. Minimizing noise. Reducing weight to reduce stress. Aerodynamics to help minimize buffeting.

A guy doesn't have to drop a grand to get a quality lid. But a $30 FleaBay special isn't a sound investment either. Look how many times guys have gone the FleaBay special route for parts and have ended up receiving more problems than it was worth ( good example: knockoff Pazzo levers).

More importantly though is the OP's apparent belief that his choices can't affect when it's "his time to go". Sure, you can approach a game of Russian Roulette with the same attitude. But choosing to play a round with a semi-automatic doesn't exactly improve the chances of living to see another day

Old 09-25-2013, 03:13 AM

I wouldnt buy from ebay just because theres a lot of knockoffs..try something thats on sale from amazon or a known helment shop