Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.
View Poll Results: Do you wear ear plugs?
yes!
64.71%
no.
35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

ear plugs? why or why not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, with the hardware you'r talking about, hijack away. Maybe I can tie it back together. When I am sighting in or just practicing with the firearms, I wear them.On occasion when I played(music) live,there were guitar players that I had to put them in for .I know how they work,Of course on stage,I'd wear them but could still hear the rest of the band...
But on the bikes, I dont. Personal choice and I'll concede maybe I just THINK I hear better. Like I mentioned, the sound of the bike and wind pleases me,adds to the experience. And I still think I can hear better.It's personal choice. From decades of screaming guitars ,bass notes ,drum concussions and all, I prolly cant hear anything !

Old 02-19-2010, 01:13 PM

I have a big box of the foam disposables sittin around that use when I go shooting, operating heavy equipment, or anything outside of local commuting.

In my experience they definately make long rides more "relaxing" and don't take away from the environment.

One of my buddies had some custom molded ones for his ear at a hearing aid place. They work great, and they even made him a pair built around his ipod headphones. It's cool.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never wear earplugs when I ride. I probably should.

I also only started wearing hearing protection when shooting a few years ago....
I've shot thousands and thousands of rnds of .22, shotgun, etc. and the thought of wearing ear protection never really crossed my mind when I was younger....

Now I have cool electronic muffs that I ALWAYS wear when shooting. They were like $25 and they actually amplify regular conversations, but will totally cancel out anything over a certain db level (you can clap your hands and you don't hear it... kinda cool.. lol)
Running heavy equipment is another time i should be wearing earplugs and I don't.
Honestly, my hearing has suffered. I can't hear some things that the wife can. But then again, half the time I can't hear her, either, so....

In all seriousness, protection is always a good idea.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:33 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
I don't. I could prolly stand to lose a little hearing. I can hear my gf's iphone ringing in her purse in another room of the apartment while the stereo is on. Yet she wonders how I don't hear her when she's whining about the dishes

I don't like the feel of things in my ears. Haven't been bugged by the wind or anything like that yet. If I do, I'll look into something
Kuroshio , I don't wear 'em either . But I have a sneaking feeling I should!

If you love listening to music , try listening to it with the Bass turned all the way up and the Treble all the way down , does it still sound good?

My wife has hearing impairment and it's a total pain in the *** , to have to repeat yourself all the time and then for her to tell me to stop shouting!!!

I love music , so I think I'm gonna' at least try wearing them

We can't afford to loose anything , we all get old

Old 02-20-2010, 08:30 AM

Regarding what someone else said about earplugs blocking out too much, turn the music up in your car, keep the windows up, and have someone try to yell something to get your attention. You'll hear more with proper earplugs than you will in a sound-resistant steel cage. I've ridden before with my MP3 player in, just loud enough to hear it over the wind, and I had no problem hearing stuff on the road.

And you sound like one of my DSs :P. The guy was an 11B after six years of being a 19K, with 20 years of time in the Army. Whenever he talked about the mah deuce, his eyes just lit right up. If he saw that prototype being fired, he would probably have to change his underwear. Twice :P.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:07 AM

yes it was BEYOND sweet, probally classified opps