Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.
View Poll Results: Do you wear ear plugs?
yes!
64.71%
no.
35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

ear plugs? why or why not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This from a musician that has spent years in front of a Bass Amplifier...On the bike , I dont wear and would not consider it.And my iPOD,no way. What I like about riding is the sound of the wind, the engine noise.I can judge my speed,gear selection and it sounds like a jet I also want to know whats going on around me, sounds of vehicles around me all that.
'Course my hearing is prolly gone from playing all those years,but.....

Old 02-14-2010, 05:45 AM

because of this thread i decided to go get a set of headphones that go snug inside the ear (they kinda look like ear plugs), and i gotta say i love them. it minimize both the engine and wind to the point of where you can barley hear either of them. i kind feel like im in a dream, no noise, just kinda a theme song lol

Old 02-14-2010, 09:42 AM

My hearing's noticeably degraded from riding without earplugs. It was bad enough after having improperly fitting ones while being trained on the M-2, but they're just terrible now. I don't want it to get any worse. Tinnitus sucks.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had been using these 3M disposable ones:

They worked great when I was able to get them in.. my struggle was getting them to sit in the ear canal and not get knocked out when I slipped my helmet on (full face of course).

Aside from these, that are nice and cheap and available, what are some quality, yet affordable alternatives? I don't think that putting my IPOD in is an option... I would love the tunes, but I wouldnt feel safe I think..

Thanks,
Adam

Old 02-14-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by grendl
This from a musician that has spent years in front of a Bass Amplifier...On the bike , I dont wear and would not consider it.And my iPOD,no way. What I like about riding is the sound of the wind, the engine noise.I can judge my speed,gear selection and it sounds like a jet I also want to know whats going on around me, sounds of vehicles around me all that.
'Course my hearing is prolly gone from playing all those years,but.....
why is it people assume that earplugs = cut off from the outside world/cant hear anything???

proper earplugs will block out certain sound rages but you'll still be able to hear everything else perfectly fine!!

i use earplugs simlar to these:

and i hear no wind noise at all yet i can hear my engine, other cars engines/horns etc.. i can even have a conversion with my m8s sitting at the traffic lights. they're industrial ones my m8 uses at his garage, so got em for free

Originally Posted by flyingfree9
because of this thread i decided to go get a set of headphones that go snug inside the ear (they kinda look like ear plugs), and i gotta say i love them. it minimize both the engine and wind to the point of where you can barley hear either of them. i kind feel like im in a dream, no noise, just kinda a theme song lol
earphones arnt earplugs.

you're lucky in that they are reducing the wind noise (my siez's dont much) but that cut off feeling is certainly not a good thing. cant wear my ipod when riding this for this reason, i dont like the sensation of being sperated from the outside world. they basically cut out the 'wrong' sound range.. great for constentrating on music but not great when you wanna hear that car thats just appeared next to you and wants your spot on the road

get some proper earplugs (even the cheap foam ones as long as they're properly rated (24-36db) and you'll be amazed at the difference

Old 02-14-2010, 03:04 PM

do it

Old 02-14-2010, 04:05 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I picked up the corded 3M foam ones today..

like this:

The local dollar store has a package with 2 pairs for $1.. bought two of them and I'll toss the ones I had been using last season..

supZ: those are the ones that I was looking at.. 3M makes ones like those too.. look pretty decent and I'll keep an eye open for them.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
My hearing's noticeably degraded from riding without earplugs. It was bad enough after having improperly fitting ones while being trained on the M-2, but they're just terrible now. I don't want it to get any worse. Tinnitus sucks.
Yea the ma deuce will get your ears hurting QUICK! But it's my FAVORITE weapon system by far. hehehe I am actually a m2 gunner.. While i was training in Indianna before i headed over here to iraq, They were test firing a NEW prototype version of the m2. It was firing as fast as the 240!!! But it was a M-2!!! Some civilians and exspecial forces were shooting it on the range beside our training fob, we walked over and checked it out. They let us fire off a couple of rounds too AND OMG!!! instant boner. (sorry guys but its atrue story, fire a m2 and see what i mean!!!)

Old 02-15-2010, 12:29 PM

I can hijack my own thread right????

Old 02-16-2010, 10:27 PM

If you're packin' that kinda heat, you can hijack anything you want, bro!

Quick Reply: ear plugs? why or why not?