Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.
View Poll Results: Do you wear ear plugs?
yes!
64.71%
no.
35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

ear plugs? why or why not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 08:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i get my hearing tested every year. it is great (my hearing) and all i wear is a helment, i have been riding for over three years hearing tested for over4 hearing has stayed the same over those years

Old 01-15-2010, 11:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bubba_finch07
i get my hearing tested every year. it is great (my hearing) and all i wear is a helment, i have been riding for over three years hearing tested for over4 hearing has stayed the same over those years
it will get you eventually

I dont wear em either.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:57 PM

I'll give a plus one on the tinitus sucking, I got it when I was only 18 believing that a 22 "really isn't that loud to use ear plugs". Found out after a while that I was completely wrong, thought that ear damage was stuff people got who really abused their ears for thirty years, nope, can happen in a few with no where near as much as anyone would like to think if you're susceptible to it.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:36 PM

I have the custom made ones I got at a motorcycle show. Very comfortable, like you can't even feel them. Track and street. I already have some high-frequency loss in one ear due to years of riding without them.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:59 PM

I have cheapo foam ones from Harbor freight, and am still able to hear a car horn. I can still hear my bike exhaust, but the sound is dampened so that it isn't quite as annoying on long rides. I never really felt like I needed to or wanted to wear earplugs at first, but after a week of riding with them, I never ride without them.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:09 AM

i have some nice ear plug for when i run convoys here in Iraq. They fit kinda like hearing aid supported by the outside of your ear not just the hole. ill start wearing them when i get back to thestates..... my 954rr misses me... my mustang too

Old 01-18-2010, 01:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Prolonged exposure is generally the cause of noise-induced hearing loss.

Hearing protection is important. You usually won't notice hearing loss when you're younger but as you get older, you will. Tinnitus is extremely annoying...hearing that ringing in your ears.

I wear foam earplugs at the track & longer rides. On those longer rides, whether canyon twisties or roadtrips, I find that using the foam earplugs actually allows me to be "fresher" when I stop.

Wearing foam earplugs will not inhibit your ability to hear car horns or emergency sirens. Therefore, its legal to wear them as well.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't. I could prolly stand to lose a little hearing. I can hear my gf's iphone ringing in her purse in another room of the apartment while the stereo is on. Yet she wonders how I don't hear her when she's whining about the dishes

I don't like the feel of things in my ears. Haven't been bugged by the wind or anything like that yet. If I do, I'll look into something

Old 01-18-2010, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
I don't like the feel of things in my ears. Haven't been bugged by the wind or anything like that yet. If I do, I'll look into something
When you realize you need them, it is already too late. I wear them now, but it's like closing the barn door after the horse has left.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by gotcbr

I wear foam earplugs at the track & longer rides. On those longer rides, whether canyon twisties or roadtrips, I find that using the foam earplugs actually allows me to be "fresher" when I stop.

Wearing foam earplugs will not inhibit your ability to hear car horns or emergency sirens. Therefore, its legal to wear them as well.
aye, dealing with wind noise is fatiging. wearing plugs will allow you to ride longer and arrive fresh as you say

i actually wear industrial ones.. got em off my mechanic m8, 3 'cup' rubber ones. they completely block out the wind yet i can still hear my engine, cars, sirens or sit at the traffic lights and have a chat.

only thing you've gotta watch are earphones, they dont block out the right ranges so are pretty crap as earplugs. with mine in i cant hear anyone talking, horns, engine etc.. yet i still hear the wind. feels like im cut off with my earphones in :/

Quick Reply: ear plugs? why or why not?