Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.
View Poll Results: Do you wear ear plugs?
yes!
64.71%
no.
35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

ear plugs? why or why not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by randyjoy
When you realize you need them, it is already too late. I wear them now, but it's like closing the barn door after the horse has left.
This is absolutely true.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do wear a plug of some sort. It maybe my iPod on low or earplugs, but either way my ears are protected. I have grown up with a dad who can't hear the turn signal in the car due to all his exposure over the years. I refuse to be like that.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was watching "How its Made" the other day, it was an episode on helmets (don't remember the brand, just that it was a German company) Anyways they said that the wind noise at 60mph was over 100dbs. Thats really dam loud. After seeing that I will NOT ride without them. I need to preserve what hearing I have left (childhood surgery has rendered my left ear useless)

Old 02-04-2010, 04:49 PM

wow it doesn't seem like the wind noise is that loud, sure you hear it, but it doesn't seem painfully loud like it would damage your hearing. :O

Old 02-04-2010, 06:23 PM

I always wear when Im commuting to work.

If im nipping around the city though I take them out as I like to hear whats going on around me. Mind you I never get above 40.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by supZ
thats not the reason why people should wear earplugs. its got NOTHING to do with how loud your exhaust/engine is.. its the wind noise!!!!!

above 50mph it takes just 15minutes to do irreversable damage to your hearing. fact!

the damage is cumulative.

tinnitus is not a nice thing to live with.

quite frankly i dont want to spend the rest of my life with a constant whine in my ear (other than the mrs ) so i choose to wear earplugs.

that said i got a whisper strip for xmas and that completely cut out the wind noise for any speed below 100 ish so on the one time i managed to get out on the bike after xmas before all teh snow we're having in the uk i didnt wear my plugs but still had em on me just in case.

in short you WILL damage your ears if you're not wearing earplugs whether you think you are or not. if you can hear wind noise with no plugs in.. its doing damage.

i personally choose the 'not damage' option
so does this mean that listening to an ipod is actually a good thing in a way. i dont (think) i hear wind noise over the music, but i know i can hear the exhaust

Old 02-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black.Prince
wow it doesn't seem like the wind noise is that loud, sure you hear it, but it doesn't seem painfully loud like it would damage your hearing. :O
It doesn't have to be painful to be doing damage. Just like listening to loud music at a teenager or the like, prolonged exposure to loud noises will hurt your hearing down the road. Just ask all the baby boomers how their hearing is after all those classic rock concerts they went to as teenagers!

Old 02-11-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by flyingfree9
so does this mean that listening to an ipod is actually a good thing in a way. i dont (think) i hear wind noise over the music, but i know i can hear the exhaust
I think that depends on if you are using sealed earplugs, or just the ipod earbuds. I have a set of sealed plugs that are awesome (came with a sony ericson), they cut out the wind really well, and I don't have to have my music turned up very loud to hear it.

+1 on the wind noise fatigue. I never though it bothered me until I tried riding with earplugs. Makes a BIG difference IMO.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:58 PM

I'm gonna try it next time I ride. Thanks for the idea Bubba. I work in the metalworking trade too, and they have the free disposable ones all over the shop. If it spares me a couple years of hearing it'll be worth it- already have to have the T.V. 25% louder than the Mrs. and 50% louder than the kid.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:31 AM

+1 on the need for plugs & the accumulative effect of hearing damage. The thing to remember is that ear plugs are meant to be used once & then thrown away. The inside of your ear is warm & moist & a great place for bacteria to breed. I use the cheap foam class 4 plugs & am about to try class 5. The foam ones breathe a little so ear infections & the feel of sweaty ears just doesn't happen. I use them at work & even sleep with them when on night shift so you do get used to any discomfort fairly quickly. Even though I use an mp3 from time to time with plug type ear phones, you're only replacing one noise for another.

Quick Reply: ear plugs? why or why not?