Other Bike Chat Discuss other makes and models of bikes made by Honda, or competing brands.

Any suzuki knowledge out there??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any suzuki knowledge out there??

I have an 06 Gixxer 750. I just got it and it's my first street bike. I have a question about the way it reacts when you chop off the throttle.
I can be in ANY gear and let off the throttle completely and the bike falls on it's face, I mean it's almost like I'm grabbing the front brake.
It slows down hard and fast. Like a car would if you are high in RPM's in a low gear and let out of the gas.
Just the other day my girl was one car behind me and said that when we came up on a curve the car directly behind me almost ran into the back of me about 3 times because when I let off of the gas the bike slows down so much that it was like I was stopping with no brake lights.

Is this normal for street bikes, normal for Gixxers, normal for newer 750's or what???

Thanks for any input.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Default RE: Any suzuki knowledge out there??

All 4 stroke bikes generate compression brakingwhich will slow you down when you roll off the throttle, but not to the extent you describe. First, try being smoother with your throttle control- roll off the throttle, don't just let go unless you're actually going to use your brakes. Second, make sure your brakes aren't binding somehow. Get both wheels off the ground and spin them to see if they spin freely. Third, a bit of unsolicited advice. I know I'm way old school, but I think you're crazy. A Gixxer 750 is way too much bike for a newbie.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:10 AM

LOL.........He's right.........you'll hear it time and time again but a new 750 is a bad choice for rookies but it's too late now.
Also, if this is your first bike.......what are you doing on a CBR forum? LOL.
NO worries, I have a GSX-R 1000 now so.........I'm with ya, but it's still a bit much for a rook.

Anyway........dependingon what gear you are in.........1-3 are retarded (the timing) and it does in fact make it fall on it's face when you close the throttle. A TRE will help with that. It did help with the engine braking on mine. It also helps to smooth out the throttle a bit. Not a HUGE difference, but some.
A PCIII will also help.........IF it's mapped correctly.

If you dont know what these things are (and you likely dont as this is your first bike) go to www.gsxr.com and search. DONT ASK about it......just search and you will find 1000's of threads about both.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:00 AM

Take the MSF course IMMEDIATELY. You will learn that whenever you are engine breaking you will still need to activate your brake lights so that you can communicate w/ the cars behind you. Inaddiction to so much more life saving information.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:03 PM

Got the gixxer for next to nothing, and it was practically a brand new bike.
I also have riden dirtbikes all my life and ride a YZ450 now.

The reason I'm on the CBR board is because orginally I bought a CBR 600 with a "timing problem" but once at the shop turned out the motor was toast...So I registered here at that time and have been visiting this site since....mainly for the forsale section.

I plan on taking the MSF course in a few weeks, me and two co-workers have already looked into it and set a date.

Thanks for the responses.
I had someone else tell me that it could also be a loose chain, but I don't see that being the problem.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:15 PM

A loose drive train will contribute to being sloppy when on/off the throttle but simply closing it and feeling the engine braking will not be affected by the chain being loose.

A TRE is the first thing I would do and see how that works out for you. It's one of the cheapest mods you can do.