Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Workout help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Workout help?

I know there have been posts in the past regarding this.. but when it comes to workouts, it is kind of specific to the person..

I am currently sitting at 130 lbs, 5'10ish.. built skinny, always have been.. Not looking to get jacked or anything, just in better shape.

I do not have access to weights, cannot afford a gym membership, and really prefer not to work out fri/sat/sun.

I have a set of resistance bands and here is what I am thinking..
Mon - Triceps/Chest/Shoulders
Tues - Jogging or Biking
Wed - Abs/Biceps/Back
Thurs - Jogging or Biking
... I figure with how out of shape I am, jogging/biking will kill my legs enough for now, let alone adding leg workouts.. FOR NOW...

Does anyone have experience with something like this and know what type of resistance band work outs I should do for each muscle, or any type of specific workout routine with this setup? (I read 3 workouts per muscle?)

Or any other suggestions/changes are also welcome, I am new to this...

Much appreciated

Old 06-16-2011, 11:44 PM

I am also 5'10 and weigh around 125 pounds; skinny. You should look at a thread I made about working out awhile back, lots of great advice for body types like us.

I couldn't put on too much weight but I am very cut after hitting the gym these past months. But, I am unsure where to lead you since you only have resistance bands. You really need to invest in a set of weights or a gym membership to efficiently and expediently work out. Sure you will get some gains with the bands but it will only take you so far and you it will take your forever to see gains.

Trust me when I say you should look into a gym or weights. Working with the resistance band is like churning your own milk when you can get it faster and easier from a grocery.

Sorry I couldn't help more; however, if you get weights then I can show you a great regimen!

Old 06-16-2011, 11:55 PM

Do Yoga man, it isn't about your weight or how strong you look. It is about muscle control and endurance. You are LUCKY to be so skinny! Drink protein shakes, make sure you are getting at least 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight. Use Whey protein pre and post workout and Casein protein in all other shakes. Add instant oatmeal to the casein shakes. You will need Optimum Nutrition Creatine powder (start with 20 grams per day for 2 weeks then 5 grams per day after that) mixed with 40 grams of maltodextrin per 5 gram serve. It will take a few months before you start to see results, but once you get going you can pack on weight pretty quickly!

Old 06-17-2011, 06:17 AM

I'm gonna say forget all of the protein shakes or whey or any of that. I've got a friend who's a dietician and has a minor in personal training and he said with a balanced diet you get more than enough protein to support a rigorous work out routine, if you're body can't use the protein it just turns into fat. He just drinks a glass of chocolate milk after he works out and he went from being 5' 8" and 125 pounds to about 150lbs in 3 years. He can also run an 800m dash in 2 minutes. He's an absolute animal. But like jpan said resistance bands are only going to take you so far. A gym or weights is your best bet. You can look online on how to get creative with everyday items as well to make up for what you don't have.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:18 AM

goto the park.. normally you find a pull up bar there.. do some pull ups some situps.. gym membership is like 20/mo

Old 06-17-2011, 07:19 PM

bands are a fantastic start the jogging and biking are great cardio and legs your not ready for proteins yet.. they do help because the amount of protein it takes you can not physically eat in food in a day whey protein and other are whats known as sedimentary so if you do end up taking them.. every 2 weeks or so do cleans.. dont take them and think about some sort of cleanser. remember that your workout starts when you start to feel your muscle's burn im 5.8 135 have no problems doing sets of 400lbs on leg press or riding for 30+ miles. do a vareity of core exercises your core supports it all makes proper technique and posture easier aswell .

Old 06-20-2011, 11:07 AM

Here is the short answer I have for you...

Go pick up the Men's Health ABS Power Dier book by David Zenczenko (close enough spelling).

This will give you a very nice workout plan and a lot more understand on your "diet" as in what you eat. And how you probably aren't eating anywhere near enough food (that goes for a guy 20 lbs under weight or a guy 20 lbs overweight most of the time).

I was a Health Science major and hold multiple certs (not that I use them anymore but I still got em!) So I semi know what i'm talking about. I can post up pics of my own physique, heh, or just ask Z or Fenatic to send you some.

I can post up a at home workout plan that you'd only need to invest in a pair of 20lb dumbbells at first to get you started if you'd like as well.

Old 06-20-2011, 11:45 AM

Check out the insanity video workouts if you willing to invest in those. no weights required just do the 45 min workout's and follow the nutrition plan it gives you, its made to be done 6 days a week but thats in order to get ripped in 2 months like it advertises you can do it as little or as much as you want and it has different vids to focus on different parts of the body, it will tear you up, P90X is another good home workout vid set. like any workout program you get out what you put into it, if you have *** it thru the workouts just to get it done you wont get the same results as someone doing the exact same thing but going 110%. stay focused and power thru it, for a great source of protein thats cheaper than meat check out 0% plain greek yogurt, it tastes like crap so mix it with fruit or some nuts or fiber one cereal and it actualy isnt bad, but it has 23g 46% daily value of protein in it which is as much as some of those protein shakes and powders people buy plus its yogurt so its great for your digestive system.

Last edited by stretch_the_apex; 06-20-2011 at 11:50 AM.