Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Why is everybody crashing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 10:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why is everybody crashing?

Around my area, they are preparing for winter. That means sealing cracks in the pavment with tar and then sprinkling sand over it so cars can drive on it immediatly......and I mean lots of sand. and they've been putting gravel on the sides of the road where the ground is lower than the pavment and everytime a car cuts the curves and corners too close it scatters the gravel all over the curve.........its a real hazard everywhere you look out there right now. I was on some twisties yesterday that I thought road maintenance hadnt touched yet but I could feel it getting loose a couple times and had to slow it down. Must have been a fine layer of sand on the road, probably leaking from a truck at some point..... Be careful out there everyone!!!!!

Old 09-21-2008, 10:28 AM

Jason, thats how it is here in PA now. I remember just a month ago I had no problem going out and leaning hard after 5 minutes or so... now I give it 15 minutes of riding minimum before taking any turns at speed, and even then Im still a bit nervous. I hate cold pavement... its just as bad as wet pavement[:@]

Old 09-21-2008, 10:50 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: jaynd

i think it has more to do w/ how MUCH WE ride than a lack of riding.
I think you're on to something there jay...I know I had a few close calls within the past 2 weeks. It seems I've gotten a little TOO comfortable after 5 months of riding, and I have to remind myself to take it easy sometimes. There's nothing more dangerous on a bike than getting comfortable.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+10000000000000000000000000000000

Old 09-21-2008, 12:08 PM

i was very lucky yesterday, i almost had to make my own thread yesterday. entirely my fault, i was a little too comfortable went into a turn a little hot (15 mph curve) went all the way into the other lane, snapped out of my target fixation just in time to avoid going off the road... and i was very lucky there was no one coming in the other lane scared the **** out of my, it was my first big OH **** moment that was my doing (ie not where a car pulled out or something)

ORIGINAL: jaynd
i think it has more to do w/ how MUCH WE ride than a lack of riding.
i was going to bring that up in your last crash thread but wouldnt let me post, if your on the bike tens of thousands of miles a year, there is jsut more time for it to happen. If you rode the amount of a weekend rider (say 1000mi/yr) then your three crashes may have happened over a 10 year period

Old 09-21-2008, 01:07 PM

My .02

Maybe not how much your riding.....but HOW you are riding. Ynks said it best :

"entirely my fault, i was a little too comfortable went into a turn a little hot (15 mph curve) went all the way into the other lane, snapped out of my target fixation just in time to avoid going off the road"

I'm just using that as an example...because weve ALL done the above scenario...and if you say you havent your lying.

Soooooo...its a matter of safely riding.....not so much the increased "odds"

Just my .02

Old 09-22-2008, 05:05 AM

I just turned over 10k, and I've been extremely lucky this summer. Living in a very densely populated state, with some of the dumbest drivers. And add to that mix lots of twisties. Yep, very lucky indeed.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:17 AM

I'm almost outta PTO (Paid time off) and I wanted a nice 2~3 week vacation. Plus I even got some great meds!

Old 09-22-2008, 08:29 AM

i think you got it short...too comfortable, thats how i feel right now..and its scaring me that i feel comfortable like that

Old 09-22-2008, 08:50 AM

when i went down it was being too comfortable. i know it was only yesterday, but after examining pics of the day i can clearly see my issue.

I had already had my knee down a bunch, so i was used o snapping it down to contact, throttle control, snap back up. well my body position was slowly deteriorating (because it wasn't scaring me anymore because i got to comfortable) which was causing my knee to not get out as far as it was. so when i snapped it down and waited for contact with my knee, it ddin;t come, so added speed and lean angle. turns out my positioning was bad enough to mean that hard parts draged first, lightened the rear end... textbook lowside.

but now i have learned A LOT by comparing my pics to the others that were there, seeing difference in body position.

I'm chalking it up to a lesson learned and a little bit of forcibly learned body work.