Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Whinning minority - Going to far?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whinning minority - Going to far?

I heard on the News this morning (yeah its morning here), that the State safety committee has recomended that the N.S.W (New South Wales) state government introduce non sign posted permanent speed cameras, in order, they say, to reduce the state road toll fatalities.
We have fixed speed cameras & mobile ones set up by the police, all have to display are warning sign advising that a camera is operational, they (the state) even list the positions of their fixed cameras on the web. (even so they raise many millions each year in speeding fines)
The police abuse this ruling by placing their warning signs facing the traffic in the opposite direction that they are not checking. But their random and usually in obvious places (like 2 feet past the lower speed signs)
The committee recommends that all cameras be unmarked & that information of their location be withdrawn.
So far the state government has refused to comment on this, but the smell of the revenue it would raise is pretty strong.
The statistics on speed cameras V's road fatalities is well documented here (as in they do S.F.A in reducing speed related accidents). Wot do you guys think? do you guys have similiar rules their?
I'm not a maniac (I take my medication) but its virtually impossible to stick to the speed limit all the time.
I wonder if the committee has looked into the amount of accidents it would cause by everyone looking at their speedometers & not looking at the road. Anyway I think it sucks.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Whinning minority - Going to far?

To help me understand, are you saying "Whining" or "Winning"?

Old 08-27-2007, 06:47 PM

ORIGINAL: pacemaker

I wonder if the committee has looked into the amount of accidents it would cause by everyone looking at their speedometers & not looking at the road. Anyway I think it sucks.
That makes no sense to me at all, just stay within a reasonable speed and don't worry about it.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:56 PM

Who still looks at the speedo

I don't mean that as a jerk, but this is my first season and i can tell how fast im going with a few mph just by sound... or look at traffic...

Old 08-27-2007, 07:33 PM

ORIGINAL: fuze

Who still looks at the speedo

I don't mean that as a jerk, but this is my first season and i can tell how fast im going with a few mph just by sound... or look at traffic...

Couple of things, When you know your going to pass through a speed camera, we all look at wot speed we are doing, used to be that the authorities allowed for a 5% speedo error, here at least, they no longer do so.
So even if you can judge your speed, even a one click over & bingo your on film.
I enjoy riding, I'm not a speed demon, & I pick my moments to stretch my bikes legs, but the reason for this post, was not that there are speed cameras (there will always be some punitive measures in place, just as there will always be speedsters). Wots gets up my nose though, is just yet another handfull of bureacrats that are making decisions based on the actions of a minority, that will impact on the majority. wrapping it up in the hard sell guise of saving lives (which based on statistics it won't). Its just revenue. if any government was serious about speed being a factor, then they would make all vehicles incapable of going faster. (easy to do on modern vehicles) I just see it as another example of dumbing down the people, and taking away yet another "decision" we don't have to make.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:41 PM

If I were you, I'd be marking down where those bad boys are while you still have their location information available. On the topic of removing error, I can kinda understand the whole 'limit' thing. It was meant to be the fastest you could go. People do over that on a regular basis, but it doesn't change what the law sees it as. You are speeding if you are 1kmh or 1mph over. It's tough, but the only real way to beat is is to go under the limit. Now, traffic conditions may change that whole scenario as keeping with heavy traffic that is going over the limit is more important to keep things flowing.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:52 PM

ORIGINAL: pacemaker

I just see it as another example of dumbing down the people, and taking away yet another "decision" we don't have to make.
It's still your decision