Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Uh oh... Puppy!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Uh oh... Puppy!

Well looks like we'll be adding a new member to the family. And this one is likely to be interesting...

I finally won the Cat vs Dog argument. Or maybe she didn't trust what could happen to the cat when her back was turned . My girlfriend, ever the "So let's buy it NOW" woman, immediately demanded to know what kind of dog I was interested in. Practicality won over true desire. I really want a Alaskan Husky but a 1 bedroom apartment in the city would be an injustice to the dog. Nevermind the high probability of a husky taking Yuen for a daily drag for a couple miles. So after some research I settled on this

Shiba Inu

Right now I'm negotiating with a breeder for a purebred puppy that'll be availible the beginning of next month. I picked the Shiba Inu because size-wise the apartment won't cramp him. Also the exercise requirements are the normal "take me for a walk, fool!" and not a 3 mile sprint my girlfriend prolly couldn't have made in her teens. Also based on the descriptions, the personality of the breed is more what I like in a dog. There's likely to be a contest of wills at the start that I'll win. Not too sure my girlfriend is up to it but he's my dog, not hers. So long as he doesn't completely dominate her, I'm cool

So when we get some current pictures from the breeder and get him home, I'll be posting them up. Now for a name that my chinese girlfriend and I can both pronounce easily and won't have the dog thinking he has 2 similar sounding but completely different names...

Old 07-26-2010, 12:48 PM

Oh and any tips y'all have for raising a dominance seeking dog or a Shiba Inu specifically would be much appreciated. I haven't raised a dog from puppyhood since I was a kid myself. Which strangely worked out well despite not havin a clue what I was doing.

Mom hated having an 8 year old kid with a Doberman that'd kill anyone (including her) if they tried to even look at me hard

Old 07-26-2010, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Oh and any tips y'all have for raising a dominance seeking dog or a Shiba Inu specifically would be much appreciated. I haven't raised a dog from puppyhood since I was a kid myself. Which strangely worked out well despite not havin a clue what I was doing.

Mom hated having an 8 year old kid with a Doberman that'd kill anyone (including her) if they tried to even look at me hard
Well you probably already know but you need to make sure the dog knows youre the boss. so when youre trying to train him to walk calmly, keep him really close and keep the leash tight next to your side so that the dog knows to go when you go. and dont let him get in front of you at first. that will teach him he can drag you (or your gf) work with him and keep him close to you for a long time at the start and eventually hell know well enough that if you ever can take him somewhere where he doesnt need to be on a leash you can trust him.

I started training my dog late. he was already probably 6 or 7 when i starting training him. now for the last 5 or so years we take him on walks without a leash. he never pulls me when he is on one and when hes not on one he knows how far hes allowed to go and he sits and waits for me when hes gone as far as he can go.

it just takes the right attitude. even if the dog scares someone, they need to toughen up and show the dog that the person is the boss not the dog.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:06 PM

Can you do us all a favor? ADOPT?

Old 07-26-2010, 03:16 PM

that is one of the most loyal dogs you willl find

Old 07-26-2010, 03:49 PM

They are great looking dogs. Just a few days ago my friend told me he wanted one too. So I looked it up on Wiki. Sounds like a good dog to me. I guess the cream colored ones are not accepted by any Kennel Club.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:03 PM

I lived with a shiba inu (black one). She was a pretty cool dog, but she didn't get along with smaller dogs. They're hunting dogs, Kiku killed a duck in the park once. For an apartment I think it's a great size, really cool looking dog, and their ears are super soft!

Old 07-26-2010, 08:28 PM
June 2011 ROTM

Watch the dog whisperer.
“We have to use exercise, discipline and affection every day. Most of the time people share affection, affection, affection, and that creates frustration. In a powerful breed, that's going to lead him into aggression. So exercise and discipline play a big role in balance.”

Cesar Millan

Old 07-27-2010, 11:44 AM

Go enroll in the pet smart dog training. They teach you how to teach your dog for like 100 for 5 weeks 1 day a week. helped me training mine.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:20 PM

Spoke with the breeder today. Pleasant woman. She also anticipated my wanting 'Proof of Life' so she sent photos of the puppy with my name and today's date next to him.

Name:  f3f6f1e5.png
Views: 28
Size:  328.8 KB

My girlfriend's scream was deafening through the phone when I forwarded her the pics. Lining up vets now to go interview, stock up on supplies at Pet Smart and starting to Puppy Proof the house. Deposit through Paypal and the balance the week before he boards the plane

Quick Reply: Uh oh... Puppy!