Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Tracks got me (lowspeed lowside)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put a F1 fairing back together on a bike I bought many years ago.. the lower was in two pieces... I put crazy glue right on the edges of the crack and held the halves tight for about five or ten minutes (longest five or ten minutes ever, BTW) since no clamp would work. I then took some pieces of plastic from some of those disposable putty knives, and used pieces held with crazy glue to make a "bandage" across the joint every couple of inches.. then covered the whole crack on the inside with good quality bondo and mesh tape as smooth as I could get it.. I ended up sanding the back of the fairing a bit, too and primered it to look a little bit less rough. On the front side I sanded the crack with heavy grit paper, then filled it with bondo and sanded like a normal repair. Believe it or not, it held up to Philly streets for the next two years til I sold the bike. I live in the NW area of the city where we have trolley tracks, too... I am always worried about crossing those things ;-( Glad to hear you are okay, and sorry about the bike.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by supersnake83
Hey man, sorry to hear that. It sucks to see hard work go to ruin.

Any reason why you didn't ride SEPTA?

They were off Strike as of Monday morning.

Well, at least you'll have a mini winter project for yourself!
Ya, stubborness Figured the streets were wet but it was barely raining so why not.

It'll be more than a mini project. Going to go back and fix all the missteps I made on the first paint job. The tank was horrible and there were spots where I stubbornly (there's that word again... life pattern?) refused to sand to perfection (and it showed).

Gaffe tape? Always brings things together in an emergency... including little old ladies hips.
When you find a repair/replacement fairing solution you can probably do the same for the hips.
Glad you didn't burn through your outer skin. I'm gutted to hear about this. Sucks is an understatement.
Didn't burn thru my pants but got a couple quarter size friction burns. I guess from the pants sliding against my leg.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sucks to hear about the bike. I've had a couple spills like this (dime size strawberries at most) and for me the biggest injury was my pride. Hope the bike comes bike better than before!

Old 11-14-2009, 01:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DUDE! I SWEAR you and me must be twins or something. So much stuff happens to you that has happend to me. Except you kinda fell and i hit a racoon. lol but it was only a short while after i finsihed painting my bike and now its all fvked up. lol

Ill let you know next time something bad happens to me to give you a heads up. lol

Old 11-14-2009, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
DUDE! I SWEAR you and me must be twins or something. So much stuff happens to you that has happend to me. Except you kinda fell and i hit a racoon. lol but it was only a short while after i finsihed painting my bike and now its all fvked up. lol

Ill let you know next time something bad happens to me to give you a heads up. lol
How bout u let me know when u win the lottery so I can go play

Old 11-14-2009, 05:30 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

Sorry to hear about it man, good you are okay though.

I've put gobs of two 2 part epoxy gel glue on the backs of
fairings to temp hold then together