Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Suzuki recall: it's official

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 05:03 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't buy that either.

As if squids ONLY ride gixxers, and the only people on gixxers are squids. Plus, if it was "user error", they wouldn't HAVE to make a recall. Obviously, if you're recalling 211,000 bikes, you're not doing it for a few riders who neglected their brakes.

Don't take this the wrong way Kuro, but some of the guys on that forum are a little crazy...

(and I'm not talking about you)

(and that KWS 1134 build is pretty cool)

Last edited by Conrice; 10-25-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know Conrice. Some of them won't even get their bikes wet. Not just from rain.

But they don't even use water to wash their bikes

Old 10-25-2013, 07:53 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Okay, cool - you understand, that's exactly what I was kind of getting at.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Conrice
some of the guys on that forum are a little crazy...
Nothing wrong with a little crazy...

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
That's what Honda Polish is for.

As far as this recall, I'm pretty sure Nissin has some fault. A while back there was some press release about their ABS systems being faulty across many brands. All within the last 12 months or so the Kawi 300 ABS had a recall, Suzuki is issuing a brake-related recall and just recently Harley Davidson has also issued a recall for their hydraulic clutches. I'm not sure, but I thought Nissin was the manufacturer for all of these systems.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:23 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
In 7yrs and 62,000 miles I have never once washed my bike with water. Plexus and cherry scented chain cleaner are the only two things ever used to clean it, and its as beautiful and deep colored as day 1.

I have to agree with the BMW guys honestly. The problem is suzuki didn't specify to have a certain part coated. Brake fluid absorbs water, and with enough soaked in that un-coated part corrodes. I can name maybe 2 people out of 100 that flush their brake system at specified intervals, and one of them is me.

What I don't think is that this will fix the spongy brake level problem. I know many racers that swapped the stock zuki master for an R6/brembo and delt with the same problems still.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the water thing, I learned it from wearing expensive glasses for years. If you simply spray something onto the lens, including the allegedly safe lens cleaners, you've still got grit and particles sitting on the lens which will abrade the coating when you wipe it. Regardless of how soft a cloth used. Any optometrist worth his cert will tell you to rinse the lens with plain ole water before wiping them to preserve the coating. Rinse off any abrasives sitting on the surface. Goes for clear coats and avoiding swirl marks in it.

Suzuki's description is bs imo. Like I said, if they were only worried about old brake fluid they wouldn't be including the latest models. Nor would the NHTSA give much of a damn about a 9 year old bike. Nor would the dealers be aware to notify Suzuki of the problem because extremely few motorcycle owners are going to take their bike in after the warranty lapses for anything. Suzuki wouldn't have a large enough sampling to diagnose it.

So all that implies that the problem was actually something noticed on current model GSXRs, which eliminates the "old brake fluid" reasoning, and the flaw is found in the older models as well.