Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Suzuki recall: it's official

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 09:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Suzuki recall: it's official

Posted here for better visibility. If you know someone riding a gixxer, let em know

Suzuki Recalls More Than 200,000 GSX-Rs - Motorcycle USA

Old 10-24-2013, 09:42 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, I saw that on asphalt and rubber yesterday.

That's 200,000 motorcycles...

I'd hate to be in that position. As if any Suzuki needed any more financial woes.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:46 AM

Yeah, big ouch. Know a few guys with gsxrs and they had no clue. Now they blowing up the dealers for info

Old 10-24-2013, 09:52 AM

I mean, it's not a TON of work with the way most dealers bleed brakes nowadays. But still, they just restructured their debt, and I'd hate to see this cause them another huge setback.

I did hear one concern, though. How is it just Suzuki? Don't Nissin or someone make the M/Cs for them? And thus wouldn't it affect more than just GSXRs?

Old 10-24-2013, 10:37 AM

Good question. From the description of the problem in the article, seems like there's some physics involved.

“After a long-term service life of the motorcycle without changing the brake fluid, the brake fluid can deteriorate and absorb moisture. The brake piston inside the front brake master cylinder may not have uniform surface treatment. This combination of conditions can lead to corrosion of the brake piston.” This corrosion contributes to the generation of gas and due to the side position of the reservoir, may not be “adequately purged from the master cylinder.” As the gas accumulates the front brake lever “may develop a ‘spongy’ feel and stopping distances may be extended, increasing the risk of a crash.”
So positioning has an effect. Problem may not appear on other bikes simply due to positioning.

And they're replacing the master cylinder on all the recalled bikes. It's pretty major financial hit. Figure only 1/2 the recalled bikes actually get seen. And the service department is going to bill at least 1 hr. 100,000 bikes x $80 labor rate and we can do the math. And that's just labor. It's going to cost them over a million in parts and labor if only half the bikes are worked on.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:40 AM

Oh yeah, they're gonna take a PR hit too. How do you let a design flaw and manufacturing defect exist for nearly a decade, affecting generations of bikes?

Old 10-24-2013, 07:52 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Conrice
I did hear one concern, though. How is it just Suzuki? Don't Nissin or someone make the M/Cs for them? And thus wouldn't it affect more than just GSXRs?
Each manufacturer specs their own parts. Like when you buy a high spec bike with oem ohlins forks- they aren't the good stuff from ohlins. They are spec'd by the manufacturer and assembled by ohlins. Tires too, the oem BTO16 on a gixxer is different then an over the counter/ universal bto16. Same goes from things like masters- it might be the same model as another bike, but the internal dimensions, coatings etc can be different.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Each manufacturer specs their own parts. Like when you buy a high spec bike with oem ohlins forks- they aren't the good stuff from ohlins. They are spec'd by the manufacturer and assembled by ohlins. Tires too, the oem BTO16 on a gixxer is different then an over the counter/ universal bto16. Same goes from things like masters- it might be the same model as another bike, but the internal dimensions, coatings etc can be different.
OH!

Old 10-25-2013, 12:28 PM
Senior Member and ROTM March 2014
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a pretty big hit on Suzuki's bottom line. I expect the price of new bikes to rise a little to compensate.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:28 PM

Guys on the s1000 forum are blaming the owners. Saying they failed their responsibility to maintain the brake system, flushing it regularly.

I don't buy that argument. It had to hit modern bikes and recently for Suzuki to include the 2013s in the recall. And who do you know takes a 9 year old out of warranty bike to the dealer for "spongy brakes"? Hell I wouldn't take Sersi in for that until I flushed the system and it was still happening. And she's brand new

Quick Reply: Suzuki recall: it's official