Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Supermoto Progress... (cleaned up and "finished")

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Supermoto Progress...

Wouldn't ya know it...

So I've been checking tracking numbers off and on all day. Ataround 530pmthe USPS site says my camshaft had been delivered at 9 this morning... so someone has probably opened it, wondering what was inside, messed around with it, let their kids play with it... blah blah blah I get to wait another week or so to get the thing installed.

[:@]

Old 04-28-2008, 11:16 PM

Wait... They delivered it to the wrong place?

Old 04-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Banned

Haven't been able to talk with the USPS but apparently yes, it's been delivered somewhere else. At least that's what thedelivery confirmationnumber says...

Old 04-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Banned

So after all was said and done I check my mailboax today and there sat my missing package. The top flap had been worked over pretty good, someone was trying to thumb around and see what was in it. When they failed, they must have brought it to my house.

Anyway, the cam was undamaged and I'm getting ready to go out and start fiddling with some stuff. I'm going to shoot some video of the bike idling before and after just to kind of be able to compare them back to back. Front fender didn't show up, grrr.

Oh well, if I've got parts sitting around that means I'm behind. I'll take some pics of the cam swap I guess, not sure anyone cares about a cam...

Old 04-30-2008, 12:00 AM
Banned

Alright, got a quick question...

Getting ready to install the cam.

OEM valve clearances (lash)are;

Intake: 0.0032-0.0048
Exhaust: 0.0042-0.0058

Racing cam clearances are;

Intake: 0.004
Exhaust: 0.006

So... I just adjusted the valves the other night with a buddy. They weren't bad, but we adjusted them to within spec. And we stayed on the low-side so intake is about .004 and exhaust is about .005 - so here's my question...

Everything seems to be just a bolt-on, literally, at this point. I was expecting to adjust the valves for the new cam but it would appear that I'm already at target lash. Any input on this possible myth?

The only reason I'm even asking I guess is because my feeler gauges are too thick, they start at .008. So anyway, just kind of curious if this is somewhat normal or maybe just an anomoly in which I'm being paranoid (and impatient).

I really shouldn't go out in the garage to do this because I know I'm going to fire it up when I'm done...

Old 04-30-2008, 12:04 AM
Banned

After reading what I wrote I'm thinking that I should wait - if my exhaust clearance is currently .005 it would not provide adequate clearance as the minimum lash for the racing cam is .006... right?

The number can be bigger, but not smaller, right? Better wait till I get some new feelers tomorrow...

[:@]

Old 04-30-2008, 12:12 AM

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

I really shouldn't...I know I'm going to...

If I had a dollar for every time I've said that...actually, no, if I could have back all the money that I spent after saying that...

And sorry Kid, there's probably only two other people on the board that even know what a gauge feeler is--and I'm not one of them. Sure is exciting to see what you're doin' with this, though.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:50 AM

I'd wait for the new feelers too. The gap can go either way, it's just not gonna mate up correctlly. As long as it's all apart, you may as well get the new set and do it right. I'm looking forward to that before/after of the idle.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:58 AM

I just adjusted the valves on a Suzuki Bandit this weekend, all 16 of 'em. The thing with valve clearances are, if they are a little wider than spec, you get valve chatter. If they are narrower, you'll get burnt/warped valves, interference between the valve and piston and generally terrible things.
When I adjust valves I set them to the middle of the range if not the bigger end. Valve clearances tighten with time, its not too likely that you'll ever have too loose of a valve clearance unless somebody did a ****ty job adjusting them before. The reason is the valve seats further into the head as the engine breaks in and wears. So that causes your clearances to get tighter, and like I said if you don't adjust them then you'll end up screwing up your valves or the entire engine if it goes for too long.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:28 AM

are you putting street tires on it?

Quick Reply: Supermoto Progress... (cleaned up and "finished")