Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Something I have noticed

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something I have noticed

I just noticed it lately, but it probably has been like this forever. There have been a few new members posting pics of their bikes or them riding, and in a few they may be wearing shorts, or a T-shirt. Now I understand that one of the first few comments may be telling him that he should invest in some gear, but is it really necessary for the next 6 post to say that? I'm not going to lie, I may have been guilty of mentioning gear to someone at some point, but it looks like we are gear ***** in here (not necessarily a bad thing). The X made a good point in another thread it's your choice whether or not you wear gear or not, so how about we respect some of the members decisions.

Once again I'm not against the hinting or someone recommending that they should gear up as I 95% of the time I gear up, but maybe a little less preaching wouldn't hurt. More positive comments towards the bikes and welcomes to the forum, and a little less squid comments. I'm not condoning riding without gear, but hey it's your choice.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Default RE: Something I have noticed

I can agree with that, and im sure im guilty of it at the same time.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:16 PM

At least a few times a summer I squid it

99.9 % of the time I'm geared up...but I went for a ride downtown a few months ago..it was like 90 degrees...we were meeting for a bbq afterwards. I was in shorts, muscle T and flip flops. Never really went over 30 MPH and had a great ride and nite. There's nothing like the wind flapping your t shirt around....and riding home at 10 at night and its still 75... awwwwwww summer

Old 10-16-2008, 06:16 PM

ORIGINAL: RedRider07

I just noticed it lately, but it probably has been like this forever. There have been a few new members posting pics of their bikes or them riding, and in a few they may be wearing shorts, or a T-shirt. Now I understand that one of the first few comments may be telling him that he should invest in some gear, but is it really necessary for the next 6 post to say that? I'm not going to lie, I may have been guilty of mentioning gear to someone at some point, but it looks like we are gear ***** in here (not necessarily a bad thing). The X made a good point in another thread it's your choice whether or not you wear gear or not, so how about we respect some of the members decisions.

Once again I'm not against the hinting or someone recommending that they should gear up as I 95% of the time I gear up, but maybe a little less preaching wouldn't hurt. More positive comments towards the bikes and welcomes to the forum, and a little less squid comments. I'm not condoning riding without gear, but hey it's your choice.
I see your point, but disagree. I feel, that we, as more senior riders have an obligation to inform the newer riders the importance of our safety gear. Some may listen, some may not. At least we put it out there. Same as telling a younger guy to put on his seatbelt when he is driving (before it became the law in most states). Because guess where they will be posting about bruises and accidents? Right here. Now, I dont hassle the new guys, or do any squid calling, but I think we must teach, coach, and mentor the ones that have the ability to give motorcycling a bad name. Just my opinion of course.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:19 PM

ORIGINAL: doogstar

I see your point, but disagree. I feel, that we, as more senior riders have an obligation to inform the newer riders the importance of our safety gear. Some may listen, some may not. At least we put it out there. Same as telling a younger guy to put on his seatbelt when he is driving (before it became the law in most states). Because guess where they will be posting about bruises and accidents? Right here. Now, I dont hassle the new guys, or do any squid calling, but I think we must teach, coach, and mentor the ones that have the ability to give motorcycling a bad name. Just my opinion of course.
I hear you and agree it's fine if someone wants to bring the point up, but I just think it's a bit excessive when we have 5 other guys saying the same thing right in a row.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Banned

Man, who you kiddin Red...last time we rode you were in Speedos, a wife beater, and sandals.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:20 PM

^Too bad you'll never get your hands on the pictures to prove it! mwuahahaha

Old 10-16-2008, 06:24 PM

I disagree. Here's my arguement:
You ever get told by one person you should/shouldn't do something? More than likely, you just blew them off, "what do they know"
You ever get told by multiple people you should/shouldn't do something? It makes you think "hey, maybe they're onto something here"
Repetitive reinforcement goes a long way towards training the human animal. Not as effective as negative reinforcement, but they'll have to crash and get skin grafts for that to happen. Maybe the gear ***** (of which I am proud to be one) have seen enough friends get hospitalized or DIE to not want that to befall other people. I've had enough m/c related death around me to last a lifetime, don't feel like reading another RIP thread here, where I come to relax and enjoy myself.
How can you, as a responsible human being with morals, look the other way when you see someone placing their own life and the lives of others in jeapardy? They want to do stupid ****, fine, they'll learn. But when that extends to the streets, then other lives are in danger and I feel the need to get involved. Even if they don't hurt someone else physically when they crash (and they will), what if they end up dead under an innocent drivers bumper? Then that person goes through life with the "what if/I killed a man" guilt hanging over them.
I'll say it again for the "simple" people...WEAR YOUR F*CKING GEAR AND KEEP THE STUNTS OFF THE STREETS.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im w/ doogstar. i think we should help new riders understand the importance of gear. sure, like redrider said, no need to really over due it and make the following 10 replies just repeating the same thing, and the squid word gets tossed around too much. but i do feel we shoudl help others understand the importance of gearing up. personally, i gear up 100% of the time (except my track pants..only long rides or when i know im gonna be riding back roads). i dont care if its 99deg. outside.....i'll sweat!

Old 10-16-2008, 06:30 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

without gear id be dead... glad i made the choice to wear it

Quick Reply: Something I have noticed