Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

So, how long have you been riding?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The military pilot/hours of flight time idea isn't as applicable to riding bikes in the same way. With a military pilot, if you do something wrong or start to develop bad habits you're reprimanded, shown what you did wrong and forced to do things the right way. There's no such overseeing group when people ride their bikes to correct mistakes or force proper riding. So in effect a pilot is always learning, from his co-pilots, ground controllers, wingmen, superiours, more experienced pilots, etc. Which makes their hours time spent doing it the right way. Not so for riders, there's no guarantee of improvment with motorcyclists with seat time, could just be more time to reinforce bad habits learned early on.

Don't agree. Riders are TOLD when on the road, either by fellow riders, or by falling off the bike and being told later.The caveat is one must survive the mistake - true for both groups.There are old pilots/riders and bold pilot/riders but very few are both....................
Pain is a great teacher. This I know.............................

Old 08-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I was 19yrs old, I'm 38 now.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Friend and Hero ...
Talking

Sprockaholic and Chainstructurer seem to have caught the true essence of the entire thread and I like your view viewpoints better then anybody else's including my...you're reminiscing about being drowned and riding in hailstorms and poor weather remind me of what hard-core riding is about I am not a fair weather rider more of a inside joke about not riding in poor weather than anything else but your post reminded me especially of one trip I took in what was left of a hurricane last year I posted a piece about it here's a link to that story if anybody's interested https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/stupid-what-h-ll-you-doing-78028/

Classic really wished you taken me up on the offer it has some wonderful stuff from individuals like Gandhi Abraham Lincoln Winston Churchill and my favorite Gershwin I was really looking forward to letting you have it the emphasis is on you in that one and on see a muscle feast here's one for you not from 20 years ago this year LOL

Hang fire interesting choice in usernames I must say I have enjoyed reading all of your posts since I returned but brother you missed the boat on this one or did you first and foremost I never made the connection between military and pilots I did referenced both but never once did I say military pilots you brought that to the table if that was your intention so be it but don't lay that one at anybody else's doorstep but your own I vaguely referenced the fact that way back in the day the Marine Corps was struggling specifically the Marine Corps was struggling with some way to evaluate Marine's ability to handle motorcycles and a method to verify that I clearly referenced members of the military taking every opportunity to get some riding time in with a photo of a personal friend and absentee forum member known to some as F3 I did reference in general wishing there was some system similar to the way pilots hours are used to acknowledge their ability I could have clearly referenced something I'm more familiar with but would have caused as big a controversy the difference between an elite diver and a master diver as determined by the five or six different agencies used in the civilian world to acknowledge their position on the food chain which would have probably created as much havac and controversy for those spending 40 plus hours a week hawking this forum I will however take your comments concerning the superior abilities of military pilots as a personal complement and matter of family pride considering my brother is a Marine pilot with the 513 and my father flew A6 and F4 in Vietnam before I was born as to the matter of learning things the hard way the method of trial and error has been around long before you or I and will surpass both of us as for peer pressure and riding within groups I'll let another forum member and retired Marine senior NCO quotes speak for itself and I will say the Marine Corps has had plenty of success in this area here is a link to the entire thread but here is his exact quote and can be verified quite easily

Originally Posted by meanstrk
It's just a personal opinion. We all have them about different things and I respect that. You should too.

Last year, I told the CG at IIMEF that I thought he was going about it all wrong because he made it mandatory to have motorcycle clubs in every unit for the purpose of experienced riders teaching the younger ones. Well, most of the older guys ride cruisers and were treating the younger guys on sport bikes like ***. You know the result of our conversation? IIMEF paid for 30 guys to go to the Keith Code Superbike school in order to prepare them to train younger guys. This year, they have sent 60 more to the school. They still have clubs, but they are slowly coming around to what the intention was, and that is to educate younger riders. I use to conduct advance courses for my unit's riders and can show you videos of the courses. Every single person that went through my couse came away from it more confident and

It pays to be able to talk to the higher ups when you have all the stats and knowledge to back up your claims.

And the link to the whole story

https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/all-riders-over-age-25-idiots-54429/

And still stand by my original conclusion no right answer have a nice Gershwin day

Last edited by HARDCORP 8654; 08-14-2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:47 PM

8years dirtbikes 3years on the street.

It is not good for newbies to ride with experience riders cause most of them will push faster over there limits to keep up. And then panic. I ride solo cause i have no one to ride with everyone wreck there **** or liscense suspended so.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:30 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You a mortar man, I would think so................?

Old 08-18-2009, 03:21 AM

ive only been riding since april of 09, people say im a fast learner but i know its all relative. deff a noob compared to you guys

Quick Reply: So, how long have you been riding?