Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Stupid what in the H^ll are you doing

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 10:47 PM
Friend and Hero ...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid what in the H^ll are you doing

Just wondering how many of you guys have had that particular moment, lately. First of all I know it's been awhile since I have rolled through the hatch, but I've been busy with several things and just really got back to work, with this instructors position. But anyway A couple of weeks ago, I had to pack up at the spare the moment and I really do mean last-minute notice got the phone call at 1900 was told I needed to go from GA to Fort Knox, Ky be there by 0600. Now I decided to ride for serval different reasons, but I left out in what was left of hurricane Faye. Severe thunderstorms and tornado warnings all around and it was raining so hard coming out of Georgia I was down over the tank with my visor barely above the windshield, allowing the wind to force the rain off the Shield making visibility a little better arrived at O100 on Mountie Eagle with zero visibility heavy fog on the mountain and pouring rain, hard crosswinds and 3 cagers who were trying to run with me. After starting off the mountain, I ended up sliding completely sideways but managed to maintain my control, even with the severe weather conditions. I ask myself, what in the hell are you doing because normally am a very cautious rider and hammer on most everyone about squid riding. But now for a second time that night. I was rolling really hard the rain had completely stopped I was wearing full gear of course and had hit a stretch of highway outside of Nashville, Tennessee just a little north of Shelbyville. I felt like I just needed to slow the hell down I came over a hill along straight away on I 24 and found myself in a sea of blue lights. They were running strict radar enforcement on a Tuesday night, early Wednesday morning. I ask myself again, what in the hell are you doing knowing at this point I had more than enough time to close the distance put myself well within striking distance of the necessary timeframe. I managed to cover the distance of 423.5 miles in 4 hours and 50 him minutes with four gas stops included in the timeframe. Was it smart hell no, one of the stupidest acts I have ever committed was it an adrenaline rush. Of course it was, would I commit the offense again, after long consideration. The answer is No they would just have to wait are rescheduled or have made arrangements to secure my transportation are someone else's for this particular job and I do need to be chastised for this behavior also encountered a mechanical problem which there is a post down in the old 1000 section about it, before coming home. BTW, the ride home, took six hours with three gas stops

Old 09-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Default RE: Stupid what in the H^ll are you doing

averaging almost 90mph in terrible weather conditions...... thats not very smart but im glad to hear that you made it ok. Be smarter next time! out of curiosity what happened with the cops there?

be safe man!

Old 09-11-2008, 10:57 PM

Yeah that was bad! I should probably kick your ***..........ah but I'll let it slide this time! lol

I find myself on occasion not being able to be anything but the fastest thing on the road........I dont do it in my pick up......I drive perfectly sain in it........I think it has something to do with all that potential under you, sometimes you just have to let it run a bit.................

Old 09-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

First off, glad to hear your still doing ok out there HC.
2ndly you are forgiven, but dont do it again, ever.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Friend and Hero ...

My average speed was actually higher than that. You didn't take into consideration the 10 to 15 minute it takes to get off the interstate get gas pump and back on the interstate. Just before topping the hill as I said that gut instincts said to slow down. I had let completely off the throttle and was just stretching my back as a top the hill and held my speed down to I got into Nashville about 11 miles from the Kentucky state line a LEO sitting in the inside median, turned his blue lights on, but not his headlights and never attempted to pull out onto I65I came by him well over 130 and I did sit down on the break. When I seen his lights come on, but he never came after me. I would have had no excuse or no argument to put up if he had it came after me and stayed out of the throttle until I got to the state line

Old 09-11-2008, 11:15 PM

I don't see the problem. Your ability to force chance, luck, and fate into a triple headlock keeps you safe and unticketed. You've been in war, faced the darkest horror man can devise...a piddly little storm and a half-asleep LEO aren't going to pose much of an issue. I swear to god (see, I'm not an atheist) you're the same as Bruce Willis' character in Unbreakable.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Friend and Hero ...

Spirit that is just that Marine mentality of yours coming through. I'm not unbreakable. I've had major surgery several times including knee surgery, brain surgery got titanium plates in both shoulder blades left arm and have been shot, stabbed , blown up, ran over, drag by vehicle thrown out in open sea in gale force whether an almost drown and crashed out a few times and then beat on more times than I can count. Some of them I did walk away from, but most of them require a hospitals stay I would never be as bold as to make that claim

Old 09-12-2008, 12:21 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Consider yourself SEVERELY REPRIMANDED, Gunny.[:@]
What were you THINKING ???
I'm going to contact WDR so he can whack you upside the head with a 2x4 on my behalf.
You have Swtpoet and your boy to consider, and you see enough peril without making any more for yourself.
That was damned good time, even in clear and daylight conditions.......................
But please, no more...................[X(]

Old 09-12-2008, 02:25 AM

Holy crap you're alive! Glad to hear you aren't doing TOO bad. Stop in more often man. Always good to hear from ya'.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1st off you had given yourself X amount of time to get there, so I suspect the decision to ride was included in the calculation.
I can't say I've been in a Hurricane (but I have been on push bike in a Cyclone, but I'll save that one for later), but I have had a bad case of the ****fulls riding in bad weather & I guess it would go something like this: Wet + Woeful + Dangerous = Going to get the F**k out of here ASAP.
Glad you made in one piece, Now you got something even more impressive when you tell your son why he can't get a motorcycle

Quick Reply: Stupid what in the H^ll are you doing