Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

All Riders over the Age of 25 Are Idiots

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Friend and Hero ...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Riders over the Age of 25 Are Idiots

Well, I probably screwed the pooch this time, but what the h^ll

Those are the words of one high-ranking Marine officer, which I had the misfortune of running into the other day. I won't reveal his actual rank or field of expertise basically because I am not nearly as anonymous as I once was around here. Now in his defense first let me say in recent years, the Marine Corps has lost more Marines to motorcycle accidents than combat and has gotten really strict on the issue of motorcycles. We have somewhat of a personality conflict that may sound strange to some of you considering that he is a very high-ranking officer and I am a NCO but, if I am given the opportunity to speak freely off the record and you are a @sshole or idiot, I will most definitely burn that bridge and tell you so, which has occurred between me and him on a previous occasion when I was temporarily assigned to his command. Now with some of the history in place, let me tell you how the conversation went.

I met him with the greeting of the day and proper respect. He patted me on the back and said how are you doing. I heard through indirect channels, you suffered a bad motorcycle accident on the highway on one of those sport bikes. I said "Yes Sir", but I seem to be 100% now Sir. He said "Glad to hear that. We've known each other for several years. I would like to say something to you and I hope you take it in the manner in which it is meant, I believe anyone over the age of 25 who rides a motorcycle is an idiot. I understand the enthusiastic young man, who are looking for that adrenaline rush being involved in such a unproductive activity. But anyone over the age of 25 is just an idiot should have grew out of it by that time. I don't think they should be allowed on the main streets, and most definitely not on the interstates. I don't think individuals riding dirt bikes, should be punished for the stupid behavior present in street riders. So I have no problem with the dirtbike activity. How old are you now?I answered I will be 30 my birthday. He said, I see, well I am glad you're alright, but to be blunt, I have very little sympathy or concern for those who injure themselves on the damn things. I said " Is that your official viewpoint or a personal one." His answer was " Well of course a personal one does it bother you" I answered "No Sir". He said "Would you like to say something to me off the records on the subject. You seem like you have something to get off your chest and he kind of smirked, his little LT snickered in the background. I said, of course, if you would like for the LT to excuse us for minute. He said "why there's nothing off the record you couldn't say in front of one of my staff members" so I said, then No Sir and went to excuse myself at that point he insisted that I be honest and upfront with him. And consider it a personal conversation well since he had already previously formally reprimanded me on one occasion, and having more than one witness present. I declined again, he became almost infuriated at that point, almost implied it was a direct order to speak off the record so I accommodated him.
So, anyone over the age of 25 is idiot. Have you ever rode a motorcycle? Do you have any family members who ride motorcycles? NO Well is your opinion based on an internal report concerning Marine deaths and injuries because of motorcycles and only that report. He responded clearly eyeball to eyeball Yes, [color=#ff0000]Well Sir, then it trulyfor the most part is auninformed opinion based on one viewpoint with no personal experienc

Old 11-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Default RE: All Riders over the Age of 25 Are Idiots

You couldn't have said it better, sometimes it's worth it even if you're going to catch hell. Hell I just lost my part time job today, because I told my jack *** supervisor my opinion about him and the way he runs the store. Lets just say he got pretty angry, so I told him that he needs to get off his high horse and if he had anything else to say I'd be waiting outside so we can talk like a man to man.

He stayed inside the store.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Registered Users

HARDCORP, you're great man....and if you catch stuff for that....well that is what you have to do sometimes....the fact that you are able to hold a conversation in such a controlled manner is beyond me...in law, i have to control myself but we live on emotion...what seems to be a very cold conversation was much more icy than anything i have said during my law career....

it's a shame that some people think this way too and if you catch it for it, so be it, but maybe, just maybe, he'll rethink his opinion....doubt it, but at least you opened the door to some degree...

hope all goes well in the coming weeks...

Old 11-19-2007, 06:08 PM

You, My good NCO, Haveballs ofreinforced kevlar

I'd love to have you working for me, that way I know I have someone that will let me know whenI make an *** out of myself.

Yes, he will have a hard on for you, (because it seems that is just his personality type) but you did not disrespect him, or his rank in any way, so what youdid is perfectly legal according to the UCMJ.Besides, he practically ordered you to "speak your mind"

It saddens me to hear of such poor examples of officers.

Oh, and BTW, the safety directorates of the Air Force, Army, Navy, and Marine Corps disagree with your officer (not to mention the former Chief of staff of the AF,General [4 star] John P. Jumper, rides.)

Old 11-19-2007, 06:08 PM

If you'd like, I'll have my 72 year-old Grandfather (ex-army, served in Korea) tell him he's an ******* too. Then ride off on one of his bikes. The old goat can almost keep pace with me, his HD Fatboy to my Ducati Monster. I smoke him with the 954 though. Or my 48 year-old Uncle, ex MarineCaptain who rides a HD. Or my father, ex USAF, who is 51 and racked up 75k last year alone. Or another Uncle, 52, Green Beret, decorated from two tours in Vietnam, who still smokes 95% of the young guys out there on his 929. This could go on for a while, as we are a proud military family who loves us some motorcycles. I personally couldn't serve (4-F for hearing and heart arrythmia), but I wishI could've.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Friend and Hero ...

I tried very hard to stay within the letter of the UCMJ. but he was most definitely pushing my buttons he is surrounded by good staff solid man for the most part but he is one of those holdovers from the era when pedigree and fitness reports got you promoted I had hoped his one tour in the sandbox had brought a sense of reality to his world and I know what you're saying about the safety directorates it was one damn report about a year ago or so and MPs started cracking down everywhere on anyone on a motorcycle

BTW there is no suchthing as a EX Marine only former Marines and retired Marines LOL

Old 11-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be off track but from the general gist, it sounds like from previous encounters he has deemed you to have strong opinions and therefor used that as an opportunity to bait you from the get go. I agree with your viewpoints but I would've let him stew and not said anything if my assumption is accurate. I agree with what you say HC but actually as much as I don't want to say it, his viewpoint would be somewhat accurate also if he would've modified it slightly. The stats support his opinion but not if you break them down, what I mean is that from what I've read the older riders (40+) who purchase their first bike are in the extreme high risk category but the accident rate for the 40+ that have been riding 10 yrs + are actually quite a bit lower than younger riders. Nonetheless, good on you for speaking your mind regardless of the consequences.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:30 PM
Retired Moderator

If a person doesn't know what spirituality lies in motorcycle riding...then they can live their life of ignorance! Good job H.C.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:36 PM
Friend and Hero ...

KB understand exactly what you're saying and thought about it after I walked away on the other half of your post. Iposted the Wall Street Journal article about older riders and the AMA's response under a thread titled war of words a couple of weeks ago

Old 11-19-2007, 06:39 PM

Yep, Marines don't die...

...they just regroup in the afterlife for the counterattack

Quick Reply: All Riders over the Age of 25 Are Idiots